What's new

Cat is sick, will he be okay until I can get him to the vet? (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
One of my cats started sneezing last night, didn't think anything of it at the time. He usually sneezes once or twice a day, no biggie. But it was different last night. His breathing is labored and sounds congested. He is lethargic and doesn't want to eat(even offered him tuna-big treat). He just seems to want to sleep. I don't like the sound of his breathing. My vet won't be open until monday, and I may not get an appt. for monday if they are booked up. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I get him to the 24hr vet clinic? I prefer taking him to the regular vet, will he be okay until I can get into the regular vet?

RichardMA

Second Unit
This could be distemper which is a deadly cat disease.
Some of the symptoms you mention are indicative of it.
I'd get him to a vet immediately.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Your vet has no provisions for emergency cases? Sounds like this would be the time to find out. Otherwise, take him to the 24-hour clinic and they should at least be able to tell you how serious it really is and you can decide if you need to pursue immediate treatment or can wait until tomorrow (when I'd presume you can get in immediately with those symptoms).

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Steve,

If you have access to a Emergency Clinic, and can afford it, I would give them a call, and have your kitty looked at tonight. Getting started early on some antibiotics might be the difference between life and death. But nobody can tell you for sure until a thorough physical exam is performed.

Scott Falkler

Second Unit
I hope you have already left to go to the vet, it could be serious. I almost lost my first cat to possibly the same thing. (Chest filled with fluid, putting pressure upon the organs, lungs, etc.)
If not...GO!

Richard_T

Second Unit
Ditto on everything said here. Get him looked at a.s.a.p. It's just not worth waiting.:frowning:

StephenA

Screenwriter
If the cat haven't been around other cats who have feline leukemia, then I doubt it's that. If the cat is an inside cat, than I highly doubt it's that. From what I understand, they get it when they fight and scratch/bite each other or get it from other means where fluids and such are passed between each other.

To me this sounds more like an upper respitory infection, pneumonia, bronchitis, or something like that. The cat should be brought to a vet asap to get antibiotics, so the infection doesn't get worse.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
A good indicator for cats is whether or not they continue eating. Generally, if they do, the ailment is nothing serious. But if they stop eating, that's a cue to get them medical attention ASAP.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but I wouldn't wait in this case, since he won't even touch the tuna.

Please let us know what happens.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
What Rain said--if the cat won't eat "people tuna" it's serious and shouldn't wait. If the cat just wants to sleep, and is doing so in a sorta hidden spot in the house, it's even more serious.

Good luck, hope your buddy is going to be ok.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Max, my cat is fine. I'm quite relieved. I took him to the vet and it is an upper respiratory infection, basically a cold. They gave him a shot of fluids and B vitamins and sent me home with some anti-biotics so he won't get worse until he can get over it. I feel much better now. Thanks for all the tips and concern.

p.s. He wouldn't eat the tuna or his regular food because his nose was plugged up and he couldn't smell it. He would come into the kitchen like he was hungry and sniff at stuff and not eat it. Vet confirmed that if he couldn't smell it he probably wouldnt eat it. He had some tuna today with a antibiotic tablet smashed up in it.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it, Steve. :) Antibiotics: good. Kitty will be right as "Rain" ;) shortly. Just don't forget to make sure they get all the pills. Don't stop early.
There's nothing scarier (to me) than a pet that obviously doesn't feel well, because they can't tell you what's wrong. Breaks my heart sometimes...

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it is tough to watch them not feeling well and not know what to do for them. I felt really bad when he didn't want the tuna. Usually if I even move the can opener he thinks tuna is involved. He doesn't travel well either, hates riding in the car. I got lucky that he didn't urinate all over my truck, he usually loses it when he has to ride in the car. He was doing much better this afternoon. The vet also gave him some steroids to help open his nasal passages. I opened a can of tuna this afternoon to give him his pill in and he was rubbing on my leg purring again. It was very cool, I was rather worried for a while. We lost a cat to kidney failure about 1.5 years ago and I had flashbacks to that whole experience.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am very happy and relieved, Steve. Keep us posted. A cat is something you just don't want to lose at any cost.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear it Steve. Just today when my mom and I were coming home from the store our (inside) cat ran out the door. Luckily, I had spent the night at a friend's house and was carrying my pillow which I used to push her back into the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks