Cat Food

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zen Butler, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    As I have mentioned, I rescued Ali 2 mos. ago. When I got him he was underfed and underweight. I asked my vet, he said to try him on Science Diet Oral Care for his bad breath and to beef him up. In 2 months he looks so healthy (at proper weight) and his coat is almost silk like. He is as large as a full-grown at a mere 7mos.
    Do you think this is all due to diet? Environment?
    Do you buy the higher end cat foods? Or do you think it's a scam.

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    "My cat eats cat food!" - Ralph Wiggum [​IMG]
    sorry, I just had to do it!!
    as for the origional topic, I have a friend who's a vet and she buys the premium stuff for her cats. I believe it's called Scientific Diet or something like that. expensive but she says it's MUCH better than the stuff on the shelves.
    that's all I know on the subject, sorry ....
    oops! didn't read your whole post. Yep, that's it, Science Diet, not scientific. Well, I mean it probably IS scientific, but it's CALLED "Science Diet"..... and very scientific! [​IMG]

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Well, all I can say is that my cats seem to have a healthier coat than other people's cats that I know. I'm quite convinced that its the food (we use Iams) as well as making certain they are inside animals only.

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have a dog, and I believe that there is a difference between foods. Not only does the premium stuff have better ingredients (eg the dog food is primarily meat based rather than grain based like the cheap O'l Roy crap (remember, canines are primarily carnivores)) so its better for your dog, but also, the cheap stuff makes them crap a lot more, and they have diarrhea more, which sucks if you have a house dog. FYI we feed Iams

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    All my kitties get their pick of various premium kitty food. Katie and Susie are on the Hills Science Diet reducing formula (fat cats) whereas the Flufferdoodle is chowing down on regular "maintenance" HSD. And let me tell you is he a healthy kitty! [​IMG]

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's due to diet, environment, and the love you're pouring onto your beloved. Keep it up, but don't let Ali get overweight.

My little buddy eats stuff that can only be had through his doctor, along with Hill's Science Diet formula for hairball control. Not that he needs it, as Attila gets brushed frequently. But he loves the stuff.

Always provide the best of all things for so important an object of your adoration. Cats deserve the best.

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oh well, I'll settle with my overweight Friskie-fed cats.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I've always fed my cats Iams, and they are two gorgeous, healthy boys. They have nice silky coats and lots of energy - almost too much at times! [​IMG]
    My vet recommends either Iams or Science Diet. This thread seems to back that up, although I agree that being exclusively indoor cats probably has a lot to do with it as well.

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is the one form of indentured servitude that's not only tolerable but desirable!

12. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Zen I'm so glad things have gone so beautifully. It is a wonderful feeling to see what careful nurturing can accomplish.
    I have a mother who has gone topsy turvy (to her old self) over her beloved miniature long haired dachshund.
    I spent years fighting to have every furry/scaly/hoofed/ friend I ever had growing up. So in that light these current conditions are rather ironic (and irritating) that she has gone so far off the other way she’s endangering “Emma’s” health. My father was always understanding of my desire to have a menagerie, my mother (too busy with children) would have preferred none. The one battle my father and I had was over cats (which he had demanded I NEVER acquire) but once I snuck two barn orphans in the door for all night feedings there was no stopping me.

I understand tender mercies creating havoc, after all I was the one caught putting baby chicks in the fridge in high summer. (I told my mother with all their ‘Fur” they had to be too hot outside). Mercifully she opened the door to get something in the nick of time, the poor things were on loan for an Easter pageant or something.. She herself is of an age to know better, after all, I was only four when I tried to air condition these babies to death.

Emma is fat! And barley a year old. My mother will panic if she has the slightest behavior out of whack.
    Yet the vet telling her and me constantly reminding her that if she truly loves Emma she will - Put her on a Diet has had little effect. It’s more willpower than my mother seems capable of handling where Emma’s concerned and a constant worry to me. Emmas on Science Diet, but she loves popcorn, ice cream, and even certain fruits and veggies etc, which is undermining the whole situation.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Mary, thank you for such a cute post. All my nurturing has been returned ten-fold with the friendship I have aquired with Mohammed Alouicious Ali. This is my first feline since I was young. I feel like that 12 yr old kid at times. He is strictly indoor, so when I get home from work, he needs to be saturated with my attention. Many of these HTF cat threads only make me think of him during the day and long to get home to him. He has been a total blessing. My nurturing is nothing to what he gives me.

14. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

15. Lisel

Lisel Stunt Coordinator

I've fed my four-year-old ragdoll, Gabriel, Eukanuba. I've also used Hill's on occasion.

Lisel

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Zen and other animal lovers,
    My wife and I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, we tend to take care of them as family. Food does make a large difference in an animal's health and behavior. The big problem with animal food is that if a brand is lacking in any nutrients, over time your pet will develop a deficiency (because they usually eat the same food every single day.) So amongst most brands, changing the food every 3 months or so is a good idea. Here's what we have found for food:
    * Science Diet used to be great 2 years ago. Since then they were bought out and the formula was switched (although the price was not.) Not many people know this, but you are actually getting a lot less with SD than you used to. It is still good food, just not what it was.
    * Iams is almost as good as SD. It's a decent food, usually cheaper than SD so a good deal for quality.
    * Eukanuba is OK. Not great, but not bad.
    * We use this now exclusively: www.kumpi.com. This is the best animal food I have ever used, hands down. It is more expensive, but our dogs and cats are healthier than ever; it's almost like night and day. Bright eyes, deeply colored and rich coats, good temperment, and LOTS of energy. If you love your animals and can get a hold of Kumpi in your area, do it! This is the only current brand I know of that gives your pet 100% of everything they need to be properly nourished.

17. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

My cats eat Friskies. I give them each a half-can when I get home, and I leave dry food in a bowl for them to nibble on throuh out the day. They seem very healthy. And happy. Not overweight at all. And according to my wife, who tends to get in the way of a chase too often, very active [​IMG] ...
    My mother-in-law took her dog to the vet, and mentioned she had a cat. The vet told her that she shouldn't feed her cat the moist food because too much dry food can lead to diabetes [​IMG]. Anybody hear anything like that?
    Freddy C.

18. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Thanks for the correction Adam, I knew that was too simple, even for Ralph...
    [​IMG]

19. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

This reads kind of funny...
    The only things I know about cat food is that low quality cat food can contribute to urelogical conditions (problems with their pee-pee [​IMG] ). So a quality manufacturer is best...stick with the name brands...IAMS, SCIENCE DIET, Eukanuba etc... That and your kitty deserves the best anyways!
    Personally I believe in mixing up the wet and dry, occasionally, as a cat's jaw structure was designed for tearing flesh and crunching bone (birds, mice etc...) (Note, you take a huge risk giving a cat bones and should really never do so). Since indoor cats don't get to have that kind of fun anymore, I believe that a high quality wet, once in a while, is not a bad thing. Hell, I throw him a little cooked chicken as a treat.
    There's a movement out there to getting back to more holistic type feedings where you can actually order Raw prepared animal foods. Interesting, but I'm not sure about the bacterial possibilities. This can be a preferred course for animals who seem to be sensitive to the commercial stuff and do better with a more natural diet.

20. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

Oops ... Sorry, bad edit. I meant that the vet told her that her cat should have a moist-food diet because dry food can lead to diabetes.

Freddy C.