What's new

Cat Food for urinary blockage (crystals) (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
A few months ago my cat had a urinary blockage (crystals) so my Vet recommended Hill Prescription Diet cat food which they also sold. Recently, I looked at the ingredients and was a bit surprised at what I saw. The first ingredient was Chicken by-product meal. The second ingredient is corn gluten meal. I read some negative things about these two ingredients and was suprised they were the first two ingredients listed.

I have three cats that I love very much, but the Hills cat food is very expensive and the cats go thru it quickly.

Is there a cheaper commercial cat food that is recommeded for cats with urinary blockage problems?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I've been going through the same dilemma with my cat, although it is for kidney problems. She actually didn't like the Science Diet, but loves the Royal Canin. This stuff is really expensive—$20 for 24 3oz. pouches. At two a day, that's a lot of dough. This food also has chicken by-products and corn gluten meal as its primary ingredients. In addition, she eats the prescription dry food, at $12 for four pounds. But that's a mere pittance, compared to the love and companionship she provides!

I wouldn't go to a "super market brand." They are not formulated for your cat's health problem. Here is a cat food comparison chart, that has a comprehensive list of brands and ingredients, including the prescription diets. Interesting information.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Our male cat, Casey, suffered from this same urinary blockage problem. We fed him Mother Hubbard and Iams canned food, which both have a low ash content -- he did not like the Science Diet brand. He had no further problems for his remaining years. Unfortunately, we recently lost him to blood clots which cut off all circulation in his legs -- we miss him very much. He lived for 16 years on this diet, though, and his litter mate Sheena is still with us on this diet.

Blu

Screenwriter
Ditto, but my vet recommended Eukanuba Low Ph/s.
It is about 20 bucks for a 5 pound bag and it lasts two cats almost 3 weeks.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Hmm..maybe its time to stop buying the Purina UR food from the vet (and paying a princely sum for it too) and try some of these Petco available brands instead!

aaron campbell

Second Unit
DaveMcS, You definately want to quit feeding the Purina. It's full of by-products and corn fillers. Feeding cats a higher acidic diet to treat crystals causes another stone to develop in the bladder and kidneys. Meat is a natural urine acidifier, and if you switch to a canned food with higher meat content, you don't need to feed these special urinary diets to your cats. Check out www.catforum.com
Lots of good people and info.

Aaron

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure of the science of this, but vitamin C is a good thing to give to cats. It is acidic, and I don't know what other properties it has, other than the obvious in terms of fighting infections. I have heard its a good thing to give cats, but I don't know how much. If cats are getting urinary problems, it is very likely due to their diet. Try to find the healthiest diet possible. Fewer chemicals and more natural food. They do generally good with meat. Do some research.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I've decided to feed my cat Iams canned food. I'll keep feeding them the Hill prescription Diet for their dry food which is left for them all day. They seem to vomit a lot more often with the wet food.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Robert, They shouldn't be vomiting on any food. Make sure not to leave the canned food out more than 30 min. Bacteria will quickly multiply any longer than that.You need to get the cats off dry food completely.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
Dry food is better for your cat than canned food, as it has a lower solid waste content such as ash that gets hard and shortens the life. It creates stones inside.

One of the best foods you can give to cats is meat baby food. Ours love it.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
My dog had to have surgery to remove a bladder stone. He now has to eat Hill's Prescription Diet U/C (we feed him dry food) which I can only get at the vet. Is there any other alternative?

I also can't give him any treats unless I make them out of the dog food w/ flour and bake little cookies. The first and only time I made the treats I about threw up the smell was so awful.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
aaron,

thanks for the link to catforums. he concensus over there is dry=bad. That coupled with the high price of the Purina CNM-UR(only available @ the vet) I may want to consider any of the recommended high quality canned foods mentioned oner there

aaron campbell

Second Unit
JameMH, I think you have it backwards. Canned foods have lower ash & magnesium content than dry foods. Dry food is the #1 major cause of feline Diabetes, F.L.U.T.D.,& feline renal failure. Cats are true carnivores, and they obtain 98% of their water intake through their food(prey).Eating dry food, they are always dehydrated. Dry food is made for our convenience. It's bad for our cats plain & simple.

Click on this link. I think your eyes will be opened
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Prentice, Sorry but I'm not familiar with dogs. I do know they are omnivores like us, have similar dietary requirements. Just do a search for a dog forum, I'm sure you can find a good one.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
DaveMcS, Glad to help. Thats a great place to learn. I was so blind to my cats needs until my male had this crystal problem. After switching from Iams dry to Wellness canned food, my cats are so much more healthier.

Aaron

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From my experience, the dry food is a no-no for male cats with the urinary blockage problem. Even feeding our Casey the dry food developed with this condition in mind still caused problems. The only thing that eliminated the problem completely was a strict low-ash canned food diet. We then would sneak some hard, dry food treats to his female litter mate Sheena.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks