Cat doors for sliding glass doors in an apt?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i'm thinking about getting a cat for my apartment. one thing i'm considering is some sort of cat-door that will integrate with my sliding glass door that leads onto my balcony.

maybe like an adaptor piece or something? i swear i've seen them before, but i couldn't find any by searching the web. i also checked homedepot and petsmart - but no luck.

i'd like this so that i can put the litter box outside plus i think it'll be nice for my cat to be able to sit outside.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it.

thanks,

ted

2. Philip_cw_H

Philip_cw_H Auditioning

Well my finance & I made one for her place a few years ago. We basically just took a board about 8 inches wide and tall & thick enough to fit in the doorframe. Make sure you cut out a notch for the door lock mechanism and we mounted it by using a hook & eye latch on both sides of the door. Then cut the length of the board so that when you fit the top flush with the sliding door frame that there is a big enough gap for the cats to get out.

The cats love being able to go out on the porch whenever they want. Since I've moved in with her my cats have also been able to enjoy it.

The only down side is you've got an opening to outside. You may get some bugs and you will get a draft. In really cold weather I highly recommend taking it out & closing the door. You could try some sort of flap I suppose, if you cats don't mind it.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks phillip - i think i'll pass on making my own...i can't tell a screwdriver from a hammer!
    but, ryan's link is perfect. that's EXACTLY what i was looking for.
    [​IMG]