Cat companions...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Zen Butler, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Well, kitty Mohammed Ali turns 3 years old on 4/20 +snicker+
    With my brothers both working/going to school and I, on the road more now than I ever have, is it time to get him a friend?

My concerns:
    He's a very strong and aggressive feline and has chased all other stray mammals away from our balcony.

My flat is definitely large enough, but the little guy's a bit of bully. He attacks dogs, when we get mail and go to the stores below us. He has even attacked several humans who have visited. He is very loving to us three boys(men)though.

I know, I will talk to a professional but I'm work and thought I'd run it by you guys.

Any of you introduced a second cat, years in?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Zen, your buddy sounds pretty darn territorial and most likely would prefer to remain the sole cat in your abode. Mine's the same way. Best to do something like this when they are very young.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Katie and Susie were littermates that I picked up from a rescue society as kittens. After they lived with me for a year or two Fluffy Pumpkin showed up as a stray. They gradually socialized through the screen door and when it became clear what Flufferdoodle was going to be "my" cat they were introduced in person. It took some time but they all get along now, even grooming one another. I think the gender gap helps. Flufferdoodle is the only male.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i've been pretty lucky i guess with my three cats. here's the breakdown.

got hoku first. since he was sole proprieter, he had no issues. however, he definitely has the most laid back attitude.

got nani second. as a kitten, she really tried to play with hoku more then anything. hoku tolerated her, but gave her a few swats here and there, growled at her, etc. i think he was just establishing his grounds. within a month or so they settled down, started sleeping together, etc. all was well until...

we got kea third. hoku (again) had little issues, but growled and batted her around a little -- nothing to worry about...no serious fights. however, cat #2 (nani) had a heck of a time with kea. she used to grown a lot, jump on her, bite her neck, etc. nani definitely was *not* happy to have kea around. however, after a couple of months (i guess) she has chilled out significantly.

at this point in time (about 10 months) since all three cats have been around eachother, all is well. they are definitely friends. they roam around the house and yard together, play together, etc. every once in a while one cats jumps on another cat, but they're just playing ... i'm sure of it.

---

but i gotta say bro, ali really sounds like a bad-ass. my cats were way more chill, so i think it was easier for them to acclimate. anyway, assuming you get another companion for ali, i would think whever you got it from would allow you to bring the new cat back if ali kept trying to eat it. [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I got my second cat when my first cat was around 5 years old. They will get used to each other, even if it's to just ignore one another for 99% of the time.

Every now and then, my older cat will just pop the younger one with his paw as he's walking by, just to remind him who's in charge. It's funny to see when it happens.

I also see my older cat licking the younger one's furry head once in a while. The younger one either just tolerates it, or likes it.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Good question Zen. As usual with issues regarding cats, all answers are correct--or perhaps none are. [​IMG]

We have three, who were introduced to each other fairly quickly (although as my wife often points out, in cat time, it was a long time). All of our cats were rescured, so we don´t actually know every thing about their background.

We plucked Charile off death row at about Thanksgiving two and a half years ago. He was then probably about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. He was (and is) a very happy kitty, but as my wife and I both worked long hours we looked around for a second cat.

Buddy was brought in just after the New Year. They hissed at each other for a few days, but nothing serious, as Buddy mostly stayed out of Charlie´s way. It was not too long before they were playing togeter and grooming each other. It probably helped that Charile was a bit older than Buddy (probably just over a year old when we got him).

Audry was acquired at Easter, and the same process repeated itself.

They are all pretty much friends all the time.

While our home was being packed for an impending move, we stayed with a friend who has six cats! Charile immediatly picked a fight with the biggest cat and it seemed as though things were going to be pretty tense for a while, but while none of the two opposing groups were friends, by the time we left a few days later, everyone at least agreed to ignore each other. Detante had arrived.

In years past we have had a cat and a dog, a cat and a dog and a kid, and two cats and a dog and a kid. All with no problems. Our female siamese was pretty jealous of our son when he was born, but soon found the benefit of always having someone with whom to take a nap.

Jack of course is correct. Cats are territorial, even the ones who are more passive. But in my experience they manage to work it out living in the same house.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My cats have always overlapped, I tend to get a new kitten when my existing cat is 10 or 12. I've found that adult or older cats are a lot more tolerant of a baby kitten than of another adult cat.

Same thing with introducing a cat into a dog-only household, the dog is usually a lot more tolerant of a kitten than of a full grown cat.

8. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Zen, I wouldn't introduce another cat and immediately leave for work or school. I'd suggest a weekend when you have the time to spend with Ali and another cat, or spring break or whatever.

Ali sounds like a 1 cat household-type critter. From the descriptions, he is just too aggressive for a kitten, and he might also be too much for even an adult cat, unless you got another "scrapper." Of course, that could be disastrous too, if both were aggressive, because then you might find yourself in a situation of paying through the nose for vet bills to repair the damage.

Is Ali neutered, and how old was he when the deed was done? My mom has a cat that was about 1 1/2 years old when he got fixed, and he is a solo cat, because he is just too aggressive for any other cats.

When my brother moved in with me, he brought his year old calico, Sunday with him. We thought she was pregnant, because he caught the little hussy in the act with a tomcat at his old place. It turned out she was stealing food out of the dog's dish and the dog food bag. We now call her Sunday the Hutt.

When we went to Eastern Washington to get apples from a grower we know, we found two five month old male kittens who had been abandoned in the woods. We brought them home, and Sunday had her nose seriously out of joint. However, the two boys, whom we named Camas Meadows and Stormcloud, turned out to be a very effective tag team. Sunday would jump one of them, using her bulk to her advantage, and pin him down to try to dominate him. The other kitten would then jump up and bite her on the ass. Sunday would get very indignant, and turn to defend her butt, only to have the one under her paws squirm out and attack her neck and face. She just could not fight a two front war!

However, when we took in dad's cat after the 2001 earthquake, Sunday, Camas and Stormcloud all teamed up when dad's cat, who was used to being the spoiled Queen Bee over at dad's place, tried to assert herself at our house. Sunday the Hutt was the Queen Bee, but Camas and Stormcloud were now her faithful deputies when it came to dealing with the upstart.

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

He was neutered very early on, 5 months if I recall. If anything, he got even more aggressive. And the only nail maintenence he gets is from his siscal rope posts. He has razor sharp claws, I have many scars from his aggressive play. He loves it, but doesn't know his own strength.

Ali's vet suspects he was abused and abandon before I rescued him, so he has always been a bit skiddish and paranoid. He hates the sound of shoes on the hardwood floors, so us boys remove them.

My fear is, one the strays, a good 15lb Siamese got mauled when ALi got out onto the balacony. So yes, I fear finding(rescuing) a "scrapper" (as Lynda put) with enough skills. A kitten is out of the question, as even when he is only playing, he is a bit dangerous.

Maybe this only my guilt about not being home as much. Maybe he loves having reign of the household.

BTW, Ali's vet yesterday evening said "No, absolutely not."

Hates shoes on hardwood floors but doesn't mind lying and watching a thundering home theater system. Go figure.

10. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

We got our Norman when he was very young and got 3 year old Charlie when Norman was around 2.

Charlie came from the humane society so he had no problem socializing with other cats. We were worried about Norman, who was much more energetic and... well.. outspoken.

Initially, Norman complained when Charlie was near by hissing and growling... but within a few hours they were best buds and couldn't be separated.

Now, if I could just get them to quit sumo-wrestling in my bedroom at 3am.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dave, i feel your pain. for some reason, both our cats wake up (two of them usually sleep with us) at about 5am!

either they start jumping around, scratching eachother (complete with jingling noises from their tags), or they decide to shift positions and sleep on my stomach, chest or head!

it's actually to the point where i try to lock them out at night, but you can imagine how well that goes. either they get pissy or wifey does -- neither is a good scene.

---

damn, do we own the cats or do they own us? sheesh! [​IMG]

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis

Hey, I heard that!

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I think cats are foot soldiers for mice, who secretly run the world.

Bruce

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Dogs have owners; cats have staff!

15. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Susie was getting pretty sad and lonely after the Flufferdoodle and Katie passed away. I ended up bringing home Duke, who is a 2.5+ year old male. He is very very aggressive but of course Susie is the alpha cat so she backed him down. It took about a month but now they get along fairly well.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

You mean, like Pinky & the Brain??? [​IMG]

My two cats were feral but they grew up together and I couldn't separate them when I adopted them (or they adopted me!) so I got two cats instead of one. It was easy cause they are now inseparable. If I close a door between the two, they both will start meowing and start clawing as if to dig a tunnel under the door.....

And yeah, they generally get up fairly early and start scratching on my scratching post and stuff, but then I'm an early riser too so I don't mind.

As far as a new cats, my vet tells me females are generally more standoffish than males and both of my cats are neutered males.

Jay

17. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm glad that someone started this topic because i've gone back and forth on getting my furry lil' bro Tommy a friend for a long time now.

He's 10 years old now but he seems to like being the only kitty in my life, I really don't think he would tolerate any other cat on his turf touching his things, and by things I mean of course me lol.

I just feel so bad sometimes because our apartment isn't that big and there isn't a lot for him to do, especially in winter because we let him outside in summer but keep him inside in winter and I know he must get bored to tears.