Cat companion question.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Johnson, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Since I know the HTF is swarming with cat lovers I came here to get your opinion on something.
    My cat is 2 years old,male,fixed,declawed in front.
    He's now an only child, but he grew up around 2 large dogs (which he hated) and another cat.
    I was thinking of getting another cat to have someone here when I am not (although I am home quite a bit).

I originally thought of going to the pet refuge in town and getting a cat around his age.
    But....
    Today I went to a friend of a friends. His cat recently had kittens. There was one that looked exactly like my cat(also male) and ,of course, he said I could have him if I wanted.

So now I ask your opinion on which path I should take....??

Older cat, already fixed/declawed(hopefully),shots,etc. $40
    Younger cat, Free. But have to pay for the above.
    Money is not the deciding factor. I am more curious if the age difference matters,etc.

Thanks...

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I too went looking at the "Kittie Rescue" for a companion for ALi. The lady there said, that it can be a bit tough with ALi always being the only cat at home. What was nice is that if the situation doesn't work out, they will take kitty back. I chose to keep Ali an only cat, he's happy, he's king of the castle. Why mess it up with my assumptions on what he wants. I can assure you that most(if not all) "Kitten Rescues", do not declaw. If you get a declawed kitty, he was so before hand.
    My personal opinion, I think a young kitten would work best.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

When you say you have a declawed cat then you are just asking for cat lovers to rip you a new one.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

My cats are also declawed. A decision made 9 years ago, which I regret now. But anyway...

Regardless of the cat you bring in, there is going to be a period of time (usually 2-4 weeks) for adjustment. It's very likely the cats will hiss at each other and try to avoid one another for a period of time. Don't let this freak you out, as it is a normal part of the cat mingling process.

There's no rule of thumb as to what type of cat would integrate more easily. Like people, every cat is different. Like every human relationship, every cat relationship is different.

Choose a new cat based on your own feelings. Don't just grab the first one (or one of the first two) that becomes available. When you find the right cat, you'll just know...and that's the one you should take home.

5. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

My gf bought a kitten when she already had a dog (golden ret) and a declawed cat. The kitten grew up to constantly pick on the declawed cat. It was basically playing but the declawed cat was always at a disadvantage. The once friendly cat's attitude changed and it would avoid everyone. It seemed sketchier than usual. Constantly looking over her shoulder, afraid of getting pounced upon around every corner.

Eventually the kitty grew up and went to a cattery for a week to get knocked up. Man, that old cat's attitude completely changed again. It was constantly around us, rubbing our legs, hanging out with us, etc. Almost like a thank you.

Of course when the younger cat came back, the other cat went back into seclusion. She even started pissing on my gf's bed. Presumably, she views my gf as the alpha animal of the house and the cause of her troubles. Pissing is how she showed her unhappiness.

It's all better now. Depending on personalities, you might encounter the same problem.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

7. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I once read somewhere that if you own a cat and then decide to get an additional one, you should "ignore" the new cat for about a week, attention wise, and focus solely on your existing pet. This way the old cat still feels loved and doesn't get jealous when he/she sees all your attention being directed towards the new one.

We tried that once, but it's almost impossible, especially for a kitten.

8. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Thanks for your all your help.

9. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor