Cat 5 Wire - Plenum or Non Plenum?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryant Brunner, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Bryant Brunner

While we're in the process of finishing our house, I would like to run Cat 5 wire to each room. My questions is, if I'm not planning on running the wire through AC ducting, do I need plenum rated wire?

I'm not worried about the extra 80 bucks to get plenum rated wire, but didn't know if its overkill.

Thanks.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I think the only place plenum rated wire is necessary is if it is IN the HVAC system. I think it's a noxious fume thing.

Consider using Cat5e or Cat6 instead. It'll carry 1Gbps. I see them at Home Depot for just a few dollars more.

Todd

3. Bryant Brunner

Thanks Todd, they've got a 1,000 ft. spool of Cat5e @ Home Depot for 53.00. I just kept seeing Plenum wire everywhere and never knew what the difference was.

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

CHECK WITH YOUR CITY. Lots of places, if the wiring is going to be in wall AT ALL, it must be plenum sheathed.

5. ChristianT

ChristianT Extra

I live in a suburb near Houston, and any commercial installation in the wall or ceiling must be plenum. I think it is the same for residential. In my home, the city inspector made me rip out some cabling in the attic that was not plenum (I had used 95% plenum, but had run out near completion, so I used what I had lying around to finish the job). He didn't just look at one run to see if it was plenum, he checked them all.

Christian

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

That doesn't make any sense to me. Look at your telephone wire- that doesn't look like plenum wire (most say it right on the jacket), and it carries 50V.
    Ethernet carries a tenth of the voltage, maybe, and it needs to be plenum-rated. Makes no sense.
    Methinks the inspectors are misinterpreting the code, but I'm not one, so what do I know. Trying to inject common sense into government regulations is futile, at best. [​IMG]
    Todd