What's new

Cat 5 and RG-6 Questions (1 Viewer)

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing some remodeling so I'm planning to run some cables in the walls. I'm home running them ( 6 cable runs)to a closet. My question are:
1. Since I will be splitting the cable signal, do I need an amplifier? The longest run is probably 35 ft.
2. For Cat 5, I will be running these the same way as the RG-6 (6 cable runs) for computer and phone use. How do I merge the phone lines? Do I also use a splitter or distribution panel (this is only one phone number, so it will ring all the phones at once)?
Any suggestions, advice would be great.
Thanks,
Chris

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Chris, you definitely want to use a distribution panel for both the phone lines and coax cables. I would run two of each to every room. Check out http://www.smarthome.com for some great information and a variety of panels.
------------------
»ken«

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Out of curiosity, what does "home running" a cable mean? I keep seeing this term, and don't know if it's a concept or a product or what!
-Max

Steve Schick

Stunt Coordinator
"home running" means running all the cables to a central location, such as a wiring closet or rack.
Chris, you could get a 66 or 100 connecting block to run all your telecomm (cat5) wires to.
As far as the RG6, I would use a good quality splitter, if you can swing it get an amplified one.
------------------
You liked the movie? Try it on a nine foot screen.

David Oakley

Auditioning
You can also check into the all in one cable at smarthome.com. It has two RG6 lines and two Cat5 lines all in one bundle. The price isn't too bad on it either. It may be easier to run then two seperate cables.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
always run more than you think you'll ever need...in the long run wire is cheap!
I run my preamp to all the TV video inputs...a nice way to have the dvd ld etc on whatever TV you want.
Since I have 2 DSS boxes (A B switch, I run at least 5 strands to each room (2 RF,1 video & 2 audio (l & r))
cheap now
painful later
you really don't even have to hook it all up....but just in case
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.