What's new

"Casualties of War" announced for Dec.--is this the year of Brian De Palma? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
DVD File announced that Casualties of War--certainly one of the best (and underrated) Vietnam films--is coming out on December 11. That makes the eighth Brian De Palma film to come out on DVD in 2001. The previous seven were:
The Untouchables (1/16)
Obsession (6/26)
Dressed to Kill (8/28)
Carrie: SE (8/28)
Blow Out (8/28)
Phantom of the Paradise (9/4)
The Fury (9/4)
What's interesting is that, Carrie: SE, Dressed to Kill and Blow Out all were released on the same day, with The Fury and Phantom of the Paradise coming out the next week. This can't be a coincidence.
My more irritating side has to ask: why the sudden De Palma extravaganza? His latest film doesn't come out until next year, and it's not like De Palma has been in the news lately. Is this the biggest one-year release schedule for a single director?
Whatever the reason, I'm glad MGM, Paramount, Fox and Columbia are releasing some of De Palma's best work on DVD, and doing it right by great transfers and some fine supplements.
Now, if Universal would announce an Ultimate Edition of Scarface...
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 05, 2001 at 10:00 PM]

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
Sweeeet. Casualties of War is a good movie, and even better when compared with most Vietnam movies. Sean Penn and Michele J. Fox both put in good performances. Looking forward to this release. Thanks for the heads up.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I'm also a big fan of this movie. It's definitely one of Brian De Palma's greatest, IMHO. Like several of his other critically acclaimed films (see Blowout) it bombed at the box office. John Leguizamo and John C. Reilly turn in fine performances in this one as well.
Link Removed

[Edited last by Mark Bendiksen on September 05, 2001 at 11:17 PM]

Kenneth English

Second Unit
This is great news.
Now if Universal will just remaster SCARFACE and CARLITO'S WAY I'll be the happiest DVDphile who ever lived... :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Happy to see Columbia release this film as I know that it was not very successful commercially when it came out.
I'm still waiting for one of my favorite De Palma films, Greetings. I have no idea who has the rights to this title but I'm hoping that whoever does will jump on the bandwagon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks