What's new

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - a return to 3D (1 Viewer)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
This game looks less like a castlevania game and more like a Devil May Cry 3. It looks good, but the emphasis seems to be on combat. I get the feeling that this is a blow through in a weekend renter when it comes out. Games that are beat 'em ups, tend to be like that.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I get the feeling that this is a blow through in a weekend renter when it comes out. Games that are beat 'em ups, tend to be like that.
Don't see much of anything wrong with that. I blew through Aria of Sorrow in a little less than 6 hours. I also blew through Metroid Fusion in less than 5. Didn't make my enjoyment of both games any less and it also didn't stop me from starting up a new game right after I finished the first to experience it again.

If the game is truly a Castlevania game than it will easily hold up to multiple play throughs to relive the boss battle, memorize enemy patterns and to learn to use the various sub-weapons properly. If the game does have an exploration side (and considering this is the producer of Symphony, Harmony and Aria you'd have to be silly to think it wont have some available exploration element) Then we'll get to explore every nook and cranny of the Drac castle again. Of course there is just too little information on this title to make any judgements period right now.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, capt, I hope it works out. I loved Castlevania 4 for the snes, but was very disappointed with that first n64 3d version, what was it creatively called, castlevania 64, something like that. The trend for games coming from the 2d realm and going 3d hasn't always been that kind. I hope that isn't the case here, and by the holidays we should find out one way or the other.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
It does look like DMC3, but the story is promising. I hoped this wouldn't be a Castlevania with some vague ties to the original concept, because to be honest, it wouldn't be castlevania anymore. They are apparently going to set it way back in history, and show how the whole cycle began with Dracula, etc. There is even a Maximo-esque twist with the heroine in trouble.

I don't know about you guys, but the Metroid-style Castlevania template, while fantastic, just doesn't hold a candle to the original Castlevania. It's just a lot of wandering around. At least with the original you had levels (like the clockwork level) that were pure, unadulerated gauntlets of pain. Kill or be killed... none of this lever/puzzle, 'where the hell do i go next' sh**.

;) :D Take me with a grain of salt... i'm feisty today.

~j

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It's intersting seeing all the DMC comparisons. I've never played DMC, but I remember when it came out peopel said this is what a 3D Castlevania would be like. So maybe the similarity isn't quite as surprising as it first appears.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward for this game, I just hope the story is as promising as it looks! I'm also open minded for a DMC style. Hopefully they'll do it right, since is the same team as symphony.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
You old fashioned stick in the mud.;)
Of course, I said the same thing about Metroid before I played the amazing game that is Metroid Prime. Who would have thought that a side-scrolling platformer could be made into an engaging first-person-shooter?
Eh, I'll rent it and give it a whirl. Hopefully they are using different developers than the ones who coded the abortion that Castlevania 64 was.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully they are using different developers than the ones who coded the abortion that Castlevania 64 was.
You have little to fear Marvin. Koji Igarashi and his team are handling the new Castlevania (same team behind Castlevania Symphony of the Night as well as the GBA's Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow). Ayami Kojima has returned to provide the character designs we've come to know and love.

Also Michiru Yamane, composer of Symphony of the Nights orgasmic score is on hand for Lament.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Bump.

Since this title is only a week away, I have heard remarkable little about this, other than the requisite movies and impressions from IGN

I am a pretty huge Castlevania freak, not as much as Romier but pretty darned close. Hell, I'm even a Castlevania 64 apologist/fanboy. However, everything I have seen and heard leads me to believe that C:LoI is nothing more than a Devil May Cry clone. The (largely) fixed camera looks more a hindrance than an aid in most of the small, puzzle oriented rooms, enemies repeatedly get cheap shots in from diagonal angles. The only positives that have been abundantly clear in previews and impressions are the marvelous art/character designs, and the music.

This game is so close to being released, but I am hearing little to no buzz. That can't be a good sign. Tell me something to alieve my fears that this is going to be a letdown, because damnit, I want this game to rock!

Has anyone heard anything other than the reported 4/5 score from Playstation Magazine (courtesy of Game Rankings)?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Since no one seems interested in posting this, I'll bite:

The latest reviews for the game confirm almost every one of my theories about the game that I stated above.

Pros:
Amazing, incredible music.
Graphics are top-notch for PS2
Character design is largely great.

Cons:
Largely barren, non interactive rooms.
Terrible jumping scheme.
Computer controlled camera a nuisance.
Bad enemy A.I.
Beyond battle system, very little depth.
Item selection performed with right analog stick, very unwieldly.

In other words, this may appeal to some people, but I'll pass. I honestly expected more than this from the makers of Castlevania.

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph, you're probably right about that, but still I already pre-ordered my copy. :D

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Damn, that's really disappointing. After the incredible Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon and the good Harmony of Dissonance trio for the GBA, I was really looking forward to a big brother console Castlevania. Shame that it appears this isn't it.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
IGN Score: 9.0

9.5 Presentation

8.5 Graphics

9.0 Sound

8.5 Gameplay

8.5 Lasting Appeal

update: Gamespy's review is less flattering to the game. It speaks of the platforming difficulties as related to the fixed camera. It also discusses the problem of empty hallways and somewhat repetitive, tedious gameplay. There are things to like here, for sure, but the comparisons to Rygar and Devil May Cry are very apt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks