Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - a return to 3D

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chad Ellinger, May 19, 2003.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

At E3, Konami showed the first videos of the new PS2 Castlevania title due out in November. The footage certain looks sweet, but I'm a bit disappointed that Konami didn't stick to a Contra:SS-like 2D look. Any thoughts?

Preview w/ movies on Gamespot

2. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

This game looks less like a castlevania game and more like a Devil May Cry 3. It looks good, but the emphasis seems to be on combat. I get the feeling that this is a blow through in a weekend renter when it comes out. Games that are beat 'em ups, tend to be like that.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Well, capt, I hope it works out. I loved Castlevania 4 for the snes, but was very disappointed with that first n64 3d version, what was it creatively called, castlevania 64, something like that. The trend for games coming from the 2d realm and going 3d hasn't always been that kind. I hope that isn't the case here, and by the holidays we should find out one way or the other.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

It does look like DMC3, but the story is promising. I hoped this wouldn't be a Castlevania with some vague ties to the original concept, because to be honest, it wouldn't be castlevania anymore. They are apparently going to set it way back in history, and show how the whole cycle began with Dracula, etc. There is even a Maximo-esque twist with the heroine in trouble.

I don't know about you guys, but the Metroid-style Castlevania template, while fantastic, just doesn't hold a candle to the original Castlevania. It's just a lot of wandering around. At least with the original you had levels (like the clockwork level) that were pure, unadulerated gauntlets of pain. Kill or be killed... none of this lever/puzzle, 'where the hell do i go next' sh**.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Take me with a grain of salt... i'm feisty today.

~j

6. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

It's intersting seeing all the DMC comparisons. I've never played DMC, but I remember when it came out peopel said this is what a 3D Castlevania would be like. So maybe the similarity isn't quite as surprising as it first appears.

7. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

The new EGM (probably on store shelves soon) has LoI as its 8-page cover story.

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I don't know. I kind of like the wondering around shit. [​IMG]

9. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking forward for this game, I just hope the story is as promising as it looks! I'm also open minded for a DMC style. Hopefully they'll do it right, since is the same team as symphony.

10. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Call me an old-fashioned stick in the mud, but I don't want to play Castlevania if it isn't 2-D.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Joseph Young

Bump.

Since this title is only a week away, I have heard remarkable little about this, other than the requisite movies and impressions from IGN

I am a pretty huge Castlevania freak, not as much as Romier but pretty darned close. Hell, I'm even a Castlevania 64 apologist/fanboy. However, everything I have seen and heard leads me to believe that C:LoI is nothing more than a Devil May Cry clone. The (largely) fixed camera looks more a hindrance than an aid in most of the small, puzzle oriented rooms, enemies repeatedly get cheap shots in from diagonal angles. The only positives that have been abundantly clear in previews and impressions are the marvelous art/character designs, and the music.

This game is so close to being released, but I am hearing little to no buzz. That can't be a good sign. Tell me something to alieve my fears that this is going to be a letdown, because damnit, I want this game to rock!

Has anyone heard anything other than the reported 4/5 score from Playstation Magazine (courtesy of Game Rankings)?

15. Joseph Young

Since no one seems interested in posting this, I'll bite:

The latest reviews for the game confirm almost every one of my theories about the game that I stated above.

Pros:
    Amazing, incredible music.
    Graphics are top-notch for PS2
    Character design is largely great.

Cons:
    Largely barren, non interactive rooms.
    Terrible jumping scheme.
    Computer controlled camera a nuisance.
    Bad enemy A.I.
    Beyond battle system, very little depth.
    Item selection performed with right analog stick, very unwieldly.

In other words, this may appeal to some people, but I'll pass. I honestly expected more than this from the makers of Castlevania.

16. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Joseph, you're probably right about that, but still I already pre-ordered my copy. [​IMG]

17. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Damn, that's really disappointing. After the incredible Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon and the good Harmony of Dissonance trio for the GBA, I was really looking forward to a big brother console Castlevania. Shame that it appears this isn't it.

18. Eric Chang

Eric Chang Stunt Coordinator

It got a 9/10 in the latest issue of PSM.

19. Joseph Young

IGN Score: 9.0

9.5 Presentation

8.5 Graphics

9.0 Sound

8.5 Gameplay

8.5 Lasting Appeal

update: Gamespy's review is less flattering to the game. It speaks of the platforming difficulties as related to the fixed camera. It also discusses the problem of empty hallways and somewhat repetitive, tedious gameplay. There are things to like here, for sure, but the comparisons to Rygar and Devil May Cry are very apt.

20. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I heard EB is shipping this today. Anyone get their pre-orders yet?

Randy