1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Castlevania Chronicles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonK, Oct 12, 2001.

1. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Hey gang. I finally got this yesterday. This game is AWESOME. It's a remake of the game on the old Japanese PC X6800 system. In other words, it's Castlevania one, slightly altered. There are 2 more levels, plus all the old levels are longer. I could get to Dracula on the NES version with a little bit of elbow grease, but I never beat him. This version, however has me stuck on level 4. (Level 2 in the NES version.) This a game for old-school gamers who are used to yelling profanity-laced drivel at the TV.
    They just don't make 'em like they used too...sigh.
    Oh, and it has an "arranged" version. This is the same game, but with a redesigned Simon Belmont, and a redesigned Dracula, courtesy of the dude who came up with Symphony of the Night. And it has a difficulty setting for the wimps who complain the game is "too hard." Boo-hoo.
    But, the BEST NEWS I've saved for last. The disc has an interview with the lead programmer (the dude who did SOTN...his name escapes me...) and he is asked if there will be more Chronicles to come. He said if this one sells enough copies there will be, and the next game is "hinted" at in the interview earlier. He talked about wanting to do Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. If that comes to fruition I will be ecstatic. And, he drops hints that he's working on a NEW Castlevania...but doesn't say which system. (Hopefully a next-gen...PS2, perhaps?)
    Bottom line: This old-school classic is well worth $20. Keep 'em coming, Konami!

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I just ordered this from ebworld as I cant find it locally. I will buy anything with the name Castlevania on it. I own every Castlvania game ever released in the US and I am eager to add this on to my collection.

3. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Romier, it's good to know there is another Castlevania nut on the forum. I figured this would be difficult to find at the B+M stores, since it was limited to 30,000 copies. Plus, my game distributor told me that Konami cut him off and said only EB, Babbage's and a few other game chains would be able to carry it. That could be rubbish though, perhaps my game guy just didn't anticipate there being a demand for the game. Anyhow, order it and let us know what you think!

4. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I'll be picking this up this weekend at my local eb in the mall. I just hope they get enough sales so they can put simons quest out! I loved that games.
    Which reminds me...which castelvania is it that you fight a Frankenstein (or similar) creature, I think in some kind of sewer or cave setting? I remember playing this as a kid and being very frustrated trying to beat him. Something tells me its Castelvaina 3, but I'm not 100%. Anyone know for sure?
    JQ

5. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

That would be the first Castlevania. I haven't gotten to him yet in Chronicles, but Frankenstein's monster always gave me problems. Mainly because Igor jumps around spewing fireballs at you while you attack the monster. My Castlevania skills are still a bit rusty, so it will probably take me a few days to get that far.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

7. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Wow. When I said this game was difficult, that was an understatement. After getting my ass kicked on 'original' mode for a while I cowardly tried 'arranged.' Much easier. The amount of life taken when you get hit is cut in half. I've determined that 'original' mode is best played with friends, until I finish 'arranged.' I value my mental health to much to go nuts swearing at a TV. This game rules.

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

My local Software Etc got get this.......1 copy of this game and the stores manager, who I know very well, bought it.....bitch.

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Jasonk..Your hard pressed to find a bigger Castlevania nut than me my friend. I have spent the last year acquiring every Casltevania game released in the US. I have all three of the orginal Castlevania games for the NES in their original packaging and instructions. I have both SNES games (including Dracula X, paid a pretty penny for that one!) with packaging and instructions. I have the Genesis Bloodlines game in its packaging. I have all the gameboy games with packaging and instructions. All the N64 games with packaging and instructions. Finally I also have symphony of the night and Circle of the moon.
    I also have the Symphony of the night soundtrack, Akumajos Draculas best vol 1, Vol 2, The Castlevania chronicles soundtrack, The dracula remix soundtrack.....it goes on and on.....
    As you can see....Im a wierdo but I love the series!!
    Cant wait till my order gets here!!
    Kelley,
    I totally agree about the N64 games. Those were definitely a low point for the series. Castlevania is just a series that IMHO needs to stay 2d. I would love to see a Castlevania game with the graphical quality and style of a game like Guilty Gear X (not a fighting game mind you, but graphically that would be sweet)
    [Edited last by Romier S on October 13, 2001 at 05:47 PM]

10. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Romier,
    That has me topped. I've got 1,2, and 3 on NES (minus packaging and instructions.) SOTN, and COTM. Oh, and Super Castlevania 4, too. I've played some of them on Game Boy, but don't own any. I wish I had Bloodlines, but my Genesis has seen better days...
    I bought the N64 version the day it came out. I thought it was OK, but I never finished it. I got to a point where the game told me "good work, now try it on a harder difficulty." I sold it shortly after that. These games need to stay 2D. As do the Mega Man's, and Contra.
    I don't know what my favorite of them all is. Probably the first, but I really like Circle of the Moon. I hope that if a new game in the series comes out on PS2 that Konami has the smarts to keep it 2D. That would make me oh so happy.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Jason,
    Get on ebay man! You can get a brand new sealed copy of bloodlines for about 16 bucks (maybe less) and you can get a used genesis for less than 20 bucks. Truth be told bloodlines isn't the best Castlevania game available but its worth the money to get it.
    My favorite will always be Super Castlevania 4. I dont know why but that one just struck a cord with me. I think it was the sheer amazement of being in that spinning room and seeing the graphical prowess of the SNES (One of the best systems if not the best system ever released!). 2nd in line is most definitely Symphony of the Night. I so hope that Konami releases a sequel to that on the PS2!! (PLEASE PLEASE KEEP IT 2D!!!!!!) My third would be Castlevania 3. I loved playing the multiple characters [​IMG].
    We need more old school 2d platformers. There is a seriously lack of good 2d games anymore.
    Contra is a series that was totally ruined by going 3d. Hopefully one day it will regain its former glory.

12. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Okay guys,opinions...
    Once I heard of CChronicles, I did some looking around. Since my store probably wasn't going to get any, I want to my local EB & got the last copy. [​IMG]
    My initial impressions are - its a tough game,but worth the buy for old-school gamers.
    Now, I havent really played any other CV games before this (outside of SOTN). My store has both Super CV IV for the SNES,as well as CV:Bloodlines for the Genesis.
    How are these two games,and are they worth getting?
    ( I'm pretty sure we have them both brand new in box for just under $10 bucks...)
    Thanks!
    Calvin
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Calvin,
    RUN!! to the store and buy them both. Bloodlines is an interesting game. Its a little different in style the other Castlevania games but is worth the money to own. Now...Super Castlevania 4 is one of the greatest games ever made IMHO. To me it is one of the top 5 Super Nintendo games ever released. You will not be disappointed if you buy this!! I cannot urge you enough to go and at least get Castlevania4.
    I cancelled my order for Castlevania Chronicles. I FOUND IT LOCALLY! (YAY!) I am on the fourth level so far and am loving it so far. Excellent game. Made even more enticing by the 19.95 price (Hell, I would have paid 50 for it! [​IMG] ). I amso praying to the lord above that they release Dracula X Rhondo of Blood. That would be beyond sweet. The SNES Dracula X was good but not anyhere near as good as the pc engine game.
    Which brings me to my next point. What the hell is videogames.com thinking??!!
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...468729,00.html
    They actually compare this game to Symphony of the Night. Come on guys, get with the program. This is a remake!
    [Edited last by Romier S on October 14, 2001 at 04:46 PM]

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Calvin,
    Both of those games are worth getting! I personally love Bloodlines and play through it about once a month. Love the part in Paris....well its cool trust me.
    Romier,
    Our collections sound very close, except I don't have the soundtracks, but I do have Dracula X....should have been called America We Screw You Again. But I still cannot find Castlevania Chronicles!!! Ordering it off of EB when I get around to it tonight or tomorrow at work.
    Personally my favorite Castlevania game is hands down Symphony of the Night, from its cool title to its perfect gameplay, your gaming dollar doesn't go farther, and this I know as I have beaten the game about 8 times now.

15. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'd say pick those games up! Part 4 is a great game. I remember very little about Bloodlines - I had it when it first came out, finished it and haven't played it since. I'm glad you guys found CChronicles, the more people that support it, the better the chances of seeing more.

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Order it! Now just have to wait 2 days to get it....in that time I can beat SOTN, hell I can beat it and get about halfway through it again. I have played SOTN so much I can play it in my sleep.

17. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Count another fanatic...I have the SNES Dracula X bought at a BBuster (used of course), and SOTN was so good, I ebayed my way (yes, it hurt) to a PC Engine version of it. The hardware was cheaper than the software! Got an import of Castlevania Chronicles (with the awesome cover artwork - done by the LADY {IT'S A SHE!] who did the artwork for SOTN) and I haven't played it too much. If you are a Castlevania fan with a PS2, check out Devil May Cry coming out this week. It's Castlevania in 3D "done right" to quote many reviewers.
    Looking forward to a new Castlevania,
    Chuck

18. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

Castlevania rocks! I can't wait to pick up Chronicles! You guys have got me pumped. I didn't realize there were this many CV fans around.

19. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

For those who haven't, check out the Castlevania Dungeon at http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/
    It's got info on all castlevania games, including the ones for the obscure systems and ones that never made it to the states.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer

That is my first bookmark in IE [​IMG] . Just got done beating Chronicles. Sweet game. I WANT MORE CASTLEVANIA!