What's new

Castle - season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Clip episodes always seem like throw aways; as though they ran low on budget or no good ideas. This was a better clip show, but it was still "wind up for clips!" so kind of on the "eh" side.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched the 'clip' episode last night and enjoyed it as a stroll down memory lane with some of the funnier bits from the first five years. Enjoyed the changing hair styles of Beckett as showcased by the clips. Glad to see that the show has finally acknowledged that 'Sir' (who is becoming a better character on the show) is in on the secret.

- Walter.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Ok, just watched the clip show, and while I liked it, I noticed a large (to me) logical gap.

Once the bomber was captured, and Beckett was trapped, why did he not say, "Bring me my kid and I'll give you the code?"

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I hate clip shows they are lazy exercises in writing, it was depressing both Castle and Hawaii Five O with that lamo talk show angle sucked greatly this week.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Dave Scarpa said:
I hate clip shows they are lazy exercises in writing, it was depressing both Castle and Hawaii Five O with that lamo talk show angle sucked greatly this week.
+1000

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dave Scarpa said:
That episode was pretty lame, maybe the regular writers were on vacation.

The worst part is that unless you were a regular fan, I think very little of it would make much sense. Total waste of time.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
As clip shows go - it was one of the better ones. Anyone remember the horrid TNG Shades of Grey one?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
They did it again, end an episode with Beckett looking like she's not sure she should be with Castle.Didn't realize the season finale is next week already. I guess we'll spend the summer wondering if she will or will not.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
They did it again, end an episode with Beckett looking like she's not sure she should be with Castle.
I'm pretty tired of the attempts to generate dramatic tension by calling into question the nature of the relationship. We just had an episode where Castle would not desert her, and put his life in jeopardy for Beckett and she is considering a move that might undermine their relationship? Just ridiculous.

I wasn't really sold on the idea that 'armed' drones would fly in domestic skies either.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/13/faa-official-no-armed-drones-us/?page=all

I have not been impressed with the writing this season and while I still really enjoy the actors and the characters that they portray, I sincerely hope the writers step up their game next season.

- Walter.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
About the 'armed drones' and not allowed to talk/evidence taken away, I kept waiting for the team to bring it to the attention of the Mayor or someone high up within NYC govt

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
ABC is ready to renew Castle for season 6. But here are talks that they might renew Castle for two years. Bringing it pot season 7.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, that finale wasn't exactly what I thought it would be! I thought something else might happen.I will not spoil it yet in case you guys haven't seen it yet.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it could go 2 ways, the status quo, or the new environment, but it'd be tougher to shoe-horn in Castle in the new setting.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It is kind of a conundrum. Based on Beckett's conversations with her father and 'Sir', she certainly seems committed to accepting the job with the Feds in Washington, D.C. Castle stepped up and is attempting to define where the relationship is headed, but is it too late?

I'm not certain how the show's format could handle Beckett in Washington which leads me to speculate that events outside Beckett's control may remove the position with the Feds. I can't see Castle in the same consultant position for Federal cases and where would that leave the rest of the cast?

Of course, I still have the same problem with the pretext that the relationship is on uncertain ground as I previously posted. Castle's dedication to Beckett should never be called into question after the 'bomb' episode. Now her dedication to him may be another story, as this episode highlighted; but Beckett should not have any doubts about Castle's intentions.

- Walter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe "the cast" is too expensive...so off the DC they go.

OR maybe she is allowed to hand-pick some co-workers. Not like that never happens.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh, interesting. I had not thought of an external element that could make the job with the FBI difficult.So the HRG Senator that Beckett made the deal with the devil with early in the season might be a possible factor that could make trouble for Beckett's FBI job. Or maybe she does get it and she can go on with finding her mother's killer.Agreed the Feds would never accept having Castle loitering around! Maybe they allow her to work the New York FBI office. What was interesting was I thought the editing last night would show cuts of Beckett's reactions to Castle's theorizing on the case. She seemed amused by it. I read it as her perhaps thinking he was a vital part of how she solves cases now. Like she might not accept the job because she realized she needed him. That was before she talked to her father.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
What was interesting was I thought the editing last night would show cuts of Beckett's reactions to Castle's theorizing on the case. She seemed amused by it. I read it as her perhaps thinking he was a vital part of how she solves cases now. Like she might not accept the job because she realized she needed him. That was before she talked to her father.
I would agree Nelson. The (oft-repeated) sequence where Castle and Beckett simultaneously arrive at the same conclusion underscored how much a member of the team Castle has become and Beckett is smart enough to question what the dynamic will be like without Castle's intuitive leaps (and storytelling based problem solving skills.)

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If we must have cliffhangers, I prefer one like this that doesn't have someone's life hanging in the balance (because we know the main actors are signed for another season). This conundrum is much more interesting and open for speculation. But I think circumstances will dictate that even if she winds up in DC, she'lll be returning to the NYPD within a few episodes.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Well, I think the past few episodes have been relatively weak. I don't see how the show can work out with a move to DC. If Beckett moved to DC then Rick probably doesn't hang around the precinct helping to solve crimes. If she goes to DC then the rest of the precinct supporting cast goes by the wayside and they are (among the many things) that make the show good.

The only solution (that I can think of) that I like is Walter's suggestion above that something outside of their control keeps the Washington job away. I suppose that it would be OK if she went to DC for an episode or two and then came back because of something-or-other.

At least the season finale is better than that of Bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks