What's new

Castle Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Fillion's weight has been mentioned recently and it certainly showed with this episode. I think it's just genetics. He's got the kind of build where he's always going to have to watch his weight or he could eventually turn into a Marlon Brando twin.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's finale was full of expected surprises. Helo was quite a nasty killer.
Nice connection with Alexis graduation speech and Beckett letting go. And finally they connect Castle and Beckett. I'm glad that is over!
Wil Beckett survive the season premiere with Helo on her case? Will Mr. Smith survive?
Well, Castle is rich. Beckett doesn't need to get her job back. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
An alright episode, but I agree with those at another site saying enough with the Beckett's mother thing. They trot it out every season finale and it's time to wrap it up, hopefully with the season premiere.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
An alright episode, but I agree with those at another site saying enough with the Beckett's mother thing. They trot it out every season finale and it's time to wrap it up, hopefully with the season premiere.
They cast Tahmoh Penikett with plans to make his assassin character recurring next season, so my guess is that they won't put the story away in one episode. I do believe the days of it being trotted out for season finales are over. We might not learn the greater conspiracy next season, but I think the threat against Beckett will be taken care of.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't help but wonder if Ryan is in on the conspiracy. At least perhaps he's aware of some of the conspiracy and Mr. Smith and did what he needed to do to watch Beckett's back. ( I don't recall if Castle reviewed his conversations with Mr Smith to Ryan and Esposito )

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I really feared they were going there with Ryan. I am satisfied that he just wanted it by the book and knew that going rogue was going to lead exactly where it did. After Montgomery, it would be a huge mistake to make any of Beckett's other close associates into conspirators.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/314901/castle-season-4/90#post_3923893
Castle's got money.. and pull.. just have them become "Hart to Hart" 2013. ;)

You're joking, but the first thing I thought when I finished watching was that they'd go into business together as private eyes.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
I like the characters, and I think the acting is usually pretty good (Stana good in this ep although I thought Nathan didn't quite nail the "I have always loved you" scene), but ... I think the writing has been pretty lousy lately. The zombie ep was just dumb, especially the end, and this ep, which we have been waiting for for years, was not very well written. The cliche of the roof save, the recycled "I am not gonna stay here and watch you die" speech, Stana being defeated by her nemesis in fair combat, even the clinch near the end, just didn't add up to a satisfying story. (And I am going to say, I believe it is only in fiction that people stand out in a drenching storm for big emotional moments. I have never seen anyone do this no matter how happy or sad they were.)
ME

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As someone said on another site, nothing wrong with a soaking-wet Stana Katic. ;)
Adam, you've got a mind like a steel trap for these kinds of things. Can you lay out the basics on Kate's mother's murder in just a few sentences? I went to wiki to refresh my memory, but the entry was incomplete. What I remember is something like this: her mother was doing some kind of inner city volunteer work and was murdered in an alley. According to wiki, the shooter was the guy who was killed threatening Castle, but he was just the hitman. And Montgomery and some other cops were involved, which I think was some kind of wrong place/wrong time thing on the part of her mom. I remember they were involved with a fake kidnapping or something, but it's all a blur. It seems you know this show and Parenthood like TravisR knows Lost. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
As someone said on another site, nothing wrong with a soaking-wet Stana Katic. ;)
Adam, you've got a mind like a steel trap for these kinds of things. Can you lay out the basics on Kate's mother's murder in just a few sentences? I went to wiki to refresh my memory, but the entry was incomplete. What I remember is something like this: her mother was doing some kind of inner city volunteer work and was murdered in an alley. According to wiki, the shooter was the guy who was killed threatening Castle, but he was just the hitman. And Montgomery and some other cops were involved, which I think was some kind of wrong place/wrong time thing on the part of her mom. I remember they were involved with a fake kidnapping or something, but it's all a blur. It seems you know this show and Parenthood like TravisR knows Lost. :)
My understanding is that the vast conspiracy started with a circle of crooked cops trying to exert pressure on the mafia by abducting key mobsters. During one such abduction, things spiraled out of control. The associate of the mobster they were trying to abduct grabbed for gun of the rookie cop they'd brought along, Roy Montgomery. In the struggle, Montgomery's gun when off and killed the associate. Unfortunately for the cops, the dead man turned out to be an undercover FBI agent whose death could not be quietly swept under the rug. It became necessary to pin the FBI agent's murder on someone else. They framed the mafia gangster they'd been attempting to abduct, but to their surprise civil rights attorney Johanna Beckett took the gangster's case. To prevent the truth from coming out, they hired Coonan to execute her and got themselves assigned to the case to suppress inconvenient evidence surrounding the stabbing. Untidy loose ends tied up, the scheme proceeded from there without problem. Whoever hired the ring of crooked cops to carry out the abductions used their increasing influence over the criminal underworld to accumulate resources and political capital. Now those people, whoever they are, are very powerful people indeed. Powerful enough to keep the mayor of New York City from running for higher office. Powerful enough to hire a professional hit on a high-profile detective not once but twice.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I was not at all joking about the Hart & Hart 2013. seriously, I think they should just say "we don't know what's happening" on that front, it being the "bad guy in the mist" they move to LA or malibu or whatever and then out of the blue they stumble onto the solution at some later date, but it's not a focus of the story

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had a similar thought Matt. But I doubt they move to LA and be private eyes. :). But who knows..
I found some comments by the series creator Andrew Marlowe and he said they'll be going for a Thin Man / Philidelphia Story / Adams Ribs comedic vibe next season. I can see the Thin Man thing going. Which Hart to Hart is based on.
That's for the review of the conspiracy Adam. I had forgotten some of the details too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Adam. That lays it out clearer than it's been laid out by the show (at least, for those of us with poor memories). I'm going to keep your post handy when the show returns.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Finally saw the season finale, and thanks Adam, for the cliff notes version of the conspiracy, because I totally forgotten a lot of the details. Probably should be in Wikipedia.

Originally Posted by MattH. /t/314901/castle-season-4/90#post_3923971

You're joking, but the first thing I thought when I finished watching was that they'd go into business together as private eyes.

I actually thought more along the lines of Moonlighting, as I could not help but think of David and Maddie when they finally connected in the end. But I don't see Castle crashing and burning at all, unlike the other show.

Meanwhile, I'll be reading the 2nd Nikki Heat book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks