What's new

Castle season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

"Castle" does 24, and does it pretty well. I love the way they ratcheted up the tension until the end, with the mother of all cliffhangers. This is the second year in a row that they've had a big event two-parter. I hope it becomes an annual thing.

Nice to see Nathan Petrelli back on TV, too.

The only thing that bothered me is it seems like there could have been a better way to get the two of them stuck in the freezer than what they chose. I just don't buy that Becket is stupid enough to see a door and run into something like that without realizing that it was some sort of cargo container that didn't have multiple exits. They weren't pinned down well enough that it would make sense.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe_H

They weren't pinned down well enough that it would make sense.

There were terrorists with guns in literally every other direction but the freezer. Castle was unarmed. How much more pinned down could they get?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Huh, my mistake then. I'll have to go back and re-watch the last ten minutes I guess, because I was under the impression it was only the one terrorist at the end of the hall and they kept missing each other.

I guess it's possible I got distracted there and missed something.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Love the red herring teaser.

I was out of the room during the Serenity reference. I heard it, but didn't see it. Was it some kind of retreat Castle's Mom wanted to go to?

The scene when Castle told his daughter to go with his Mom was well acted, and touching. Since he knew and didn't want to review there's a dirty bomb in town.

The later bits with Castle trying to console Beckett about her boyfriend whose doing the Doctors with no Borders thing, felt like there's a chance they won't make it. Or tossing another bone to the audience that Castle may win her heart?

On another note, Nathan Petrelli voiced something that's been in the back of my mind. Of course a component of this series is that Castle has enough clout to get the Mayor to convince the cops to let him join in on Police investigations. And be in sometimes dangerous situations. In real life, that would only go so far I'm sure. But Castle seems to be allowed to get in pretty deep. Without this contrivance, there would be no series of course. But the cops have got to be smarter then Castle sometimes. It is fun when they all come to the same conclusion.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I was surprised until the end--great show!!! I may have to add Castle to my very small list of must-see shows. And it was like 24. I do miss that show.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that I was less taken by the 24 style action and plot. I was more interested in the personal story between Castle and Kate. The side plot of Castle having to send his family away was very emotional and made him feel like bad guy like the Nathan Petrelli character, but the relationship between Castle and Beckett as they were in the freezer, then later seeing his reaction to seeing her with Josh was crushing. Then the high he felt with Beckett as they thought they were going to die, then saved when he pulled the wires to defuse the bomb was very satisfying. Yet again crushed at the end. However, now the experience seems to have changed Beckett's feeling a bit too. The writers are having fun torturing the audience with relationship situation. And they love to throw the lines in of outside characters that think Castle and Beckett are together.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Part II was an example of my old maxim for television: "If a show is unable or unwilling to do a story right, it shouldn't do it at all." Here we have a small nuclear weapon hours away from detonating and wiping out a few blocks of New York City. The atmosphere at the precinct should be like the FBI office in The Seige. Instead, it's the same as any other episode. You're telling me that, facing such a threat, you'd only have four or five detectives and one DHS representative tackling it? This should have been an all hands on deck situation. You got that feeling in the first half and the first few scenes of the second half, but once Castle and Beckett were rescued it's like the show forgot about the whole rest of the precinct.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I didn't care for the second half very much. The other problem, outside of the one Adam outlines is this - if you're about to freeze to death, or you're about to be blown up, and you're with the person we (the audience) know you love, it seems ridiculous that you wouldn't say 'well, since we're about to die.. I have to tell you"... I don't mean just as a convenience of a show, but literally, if I thought I was going to die or was in real danger, the first call would be to my wife to remind her I love her.. I think history tells us that's true. So, them sitting freezing to death, it never came up ???!?! Just too contrived. Even my wife rolled her eyes

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by mattCR

I don't mean just as a convenience of a show, but literally, if I thought I was going to die or was in real danger, the first call would be to my wife to remind her I love her.. I think history tells us that's true. So, them sitting freezing to death, it never came up ???!?! Just too contrived. Even my wife rolled her eyes

Not only that, but based on every other episode of this show, would Castle really not call his daughter immediately after he was rescued from the freezer and instead just show up some time later?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by mattCR

Not only that, but based on every other episode of this show, would Castle really not call his daughter immediately after he was rescued from the freezer and instead just show up some time later?

Of course in real life you'd call family immediately, but that wouldn't be a very dramatic scene. It has much more impact for him to show up at the front door. It was the first place he went without delay. Consider that this series isn't a mirror to real life and the cut to an entrance where information is revealed is a common device. It worked for me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't remember the timeline, but might he not have been afraid that if he called her in an obvious state of distress that she might come back to the city? I don't remember if he knew they were back at that point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I liked last week's episode with the soap stars guesting. Though the mystery wasn't as interesting. This week's plot was more interesting with the murder of the juror. What I didn't see coming was Beckett's interest in one of my favorite movies. And insisting that Castle join her. Nicely played by Castle. I wonder if this was written after Nielson's passing. Nice scene with Castle's daughter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since she used Castle's description of Nielsen almost verbatim, I was thinking maybe she was encouraged to make that gesture by Alexis.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Castle actually confessed to Beckett he was jealous the writer he had taken under his wing seemed to be making time with Beckett. Her reaction was very nice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nice little shoutout to the late, great Stephen J. Cannell. Cannell was a big booster to "Castle" early on, supplying creative advice as a former prolific showrunner to the writing team, as well as lending the show credibility of his image with the poker scene cameos. Series director Rob Bowman, who directed the pilot and ten other episodes so far, got his start as an associate producer on Cannell's "A-Team".

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

Castle actually confessed to Beckett he was jealous the writer he had taken under his wing seemed to be making time with Beckett. Her reaction was very nice.
Yes, I liked it too. For the audience, but not so much Castle, her romantic interest in Castle was clear. I still don't want them to jump into a romance between the two anytime soon. The tension between them is a large part of the show's appeal to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
After seeing last night's episode based in Los Angeles, if they ever decide to retool Castle, they could marry those two and they could be the new Hart to Hart racing around L.A. solving crimes. But I don't see that happening.

Nice to see Beckett almost get together with Castle. And it was fun to see the faux Esposito and Ryan on the movie set. Also nice to see them use real locations rather then be on the studio New York backlot.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
And nice to see Stana Katic in that swimsuit.

They could have called this episode 'Beverly Hills Castle' with Beckett pulling the ol' Axle Foley routine by asking for time off to fly to LA to solve a friends murder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks