What's new

Castle Rock (Hulu) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A collaboration between J.J. Abrams and Stephen King, the speculation is that this is going to be an anthology series set in the fictional Maine town where the events of The Dead Zone, Cujo and Needful Things were set.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Casting:
  • André Holland (Moonlight) is playing Henry Deaver, a death row inmate haunted by the deaths of his parents, an incident that he was present for as a child but has no memory of.
  • Bill Skarsgård (It) is playing The Kid, a mysterious young woman whose sudden appearance in a long-forgotten cage below Shawshank State Penitentiary brings Deaver back to Castle Rock.
  • Melanie Lynskey (Heavenly Creatures) is playing Molly Strand, the introverted and beleaguered real estate agent for Maine's unluckiest town.
  • Sissy Spacek (Carrie) is playing Ruth Deaver, the adoptive mother of Henry Deaver, whose dementia causes her to lose track of where and when she is -- confusion that threatens to unearth long-buried secrets.
  • Scott Glenn ("The Leftovers") is playing Alan Pangborn, the retired former sheriff of Castle Rock -- the events of Needful Things and The Dark Half well in his past now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the first two episodes. Very strange to me as I have little knowledge regarding some knowledge about Needful Things and The Dark Half with character Alan Pangborn. I can only assume that the Devil or Demons are in play with this series. Great cast by the way. I'm going to watch episode three tomorrow morning.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is on my must watch list, but I'm subscribed to two other streaming services at the moment (Netflix and HBO Now) so this will have to way until "Sharp Objects" is over so I can cancel HBO and subscribe to Hulu.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I find it hysterical that they filmed this in Orange, MA. If they wanted the perfect example of a small New England town that's devolved into an utter shithole, they couldn't have chosen a better place.

I'm not saying this show is great or anything -- still too soon to tell -- but I'm interested enough to give this first season a go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, I'm thru four episodes so far waiting on the fifth which will be on Wednesday. I have no reference from the source material, but I think it's finely written show with some interesting characters enduring the evil that permeates the town of Castle Rock.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone still watching this or is it just me?

I think they’ve had two really incredible episodes, including this week’s new one, but on the whole I’ve been rather meh about the show. I’m a big Stephen King fan and the show has had moments of magic, but mostly I’m finding it hollow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone still watching this or is it just me?

I think they’ve had two really incredible episodes, including this week’s new one, but on the whole I’ve been rather meh about the show. I’m a big Stephen King fan and the show has had moments of magic, but mostly I’m finding it hollow.
I'm still watching it, but took a break because I didn't want to watch just one episode each week. I plan on watching the last three episodes this week.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I agree with Josh's position here, I keep hoping for this to bust open but all I get is a slow burn....

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I just wrapped up the first season and thought it was very good. Took a few episodes to grab me, but once it did I was all in. I think the penultimate episode in particular was superbly done, and I loved how the season ended.

Is this going to be an anthology show, or linked but carrying on in the same ‘universe’ with some characters from this season?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m amazed how quickly this show has disappeared from my memory. So maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that it hasn’t generated much discussion here.

I could be wrong but I think they said that it was going to be anthology style, with a new cast and story each season. I have no idea if viewership was high enough to justify a second season, though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't have Hulu but am a lifelong King fan, so with the 4K being released tomorrow, I searched for and found this thread. On IMDb it's a 7.X rating, which isn't bad but also isn't great.

Also did I read this right:
  • Bill Skarsgård (It) is playing The Kid, a mysterious young woman whose sudden appearance in a long-forgotten cage below Shawshank State Penitentiary brings Deaver back to Castle Rock.
The Kid is a woman?

The Kid (in my King novel recollection) is from The Stand, and is most definitely a male character.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have Hulu but am a lifelong King fan, so with the 4K being released tomorrow, I searched for and found this thread. On IMDb it's a 7.X rating, which isn't bad but also isn't great.

Also did I read this right:

The Kid is a woman?

The Kid (in my King novel recollection) is from The Stand, and is most definitely a male character.
He's a man!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
bHaJV3g.png

Haha I figured. And I'm as woke as the next person, and if they wanted to do some gender twisting, that would have been fine (a la Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl). I was just curious.

I'm still on the fence about whether this should be a blind buy...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks