What's new

Casting For "Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Great cast so far, in my book. I love Martin in the Office, Mos Def has been tearing up off Broadway and winning awards with "Topdog/Underdog" and that's cool enough for me. As for him not looking alien enough...well, its called acting and make up so I won't worry. Rockwell has been a favorite charactor actor since "Guy" in the underrated "Galaxy Quest." I don't know the lady playing Trillian, though. The biggest thing is how they gel and work together. The snappy banter of Adam's work was meant for radio first and it should keep that pace for film. There was clever writing but when you boil it down, it was still a lot of play on words, puns, sight gags (well, in the book anyway), double entendres and so on. Very slapstick to go with the scifi send up. I hope they do it justice. Though I think this cast is a good cast of actors, I am hoping they sell me on not being British.

Maybe it is some sort of nationality bias, but some shows are just more funny when the brits do it or at least is done in a British accent. I love the play "Noises Off" and have seen it done (and been in it, too) only with British accents. It works and is funny as hell. The EXTREMELY talented (mostly) American cast did what I thought was a poor job with the movie. The cast alone said home run but in execution it just didn't read with the flat American accent. Hopefully HHGTTG won't sound the same to me. Doesn't matter. Still have the books, radio show and radio scripts at home and a library with the movie. All is well.

Phil

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Did you see Almost Famous? Zooey Deschanel played Anita, the older sister, the one who left William all of her albums, then went off to become a stewardess. She's been in lots of other movies, but that's probably her most well-known (well, and as the singer in the shower in Elf).

I'm so looking forward to this movie.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, but I can't wrap my mind around Mos Def as Ford. I'd prefer to see Rhys Ifans (maybe with dyed black hair) in the part... he's got the wacky "not quite right" image (also described in the book) that I've always attributed to Ford.

As for Trillian, Zooey Deschanel is a great actress but I just don't see her in the role. I'd prefer to see a Brit like Gine McKee or more preferably Emily Mortimer as Trillian!

Emily Mrotimer:

Sorry guys, but I think the casting agent needs to be fired.

Moe.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really hope you're wrong but I share you're concerns. This is a movie that will be very tough to pull off without a HUGH budget. Maybe Pixar should have taken a crack at it. Anyway, I sure loved the books. And I haven't looked at sun glasses, towels or parking lot attendants the same way since. And I will never try to order "tea" from a vending machine either! Gene

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A few new cast additions were reported at Greg's Previews . So far we got:

Martin Freeman - Arthur Dent
Mos Def - Ford Prefect
Zooey Deschanel - Trillian
Bill Nighy - Slartibartfast
Sam Rockwell - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Warwick Davis - Marvin the Paranoid Android
Steve Pemberton - Mr. Prosser

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, interesting. Sounds like there is new material in the film, not just another retelling of the radio/TV/book/record/play/game/towel. Looking forward to that.

Scott Littlefield

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, at least in the radio production, wasn't there a planet with a large, possibly several miles high, statue of Arthur? I could easily see a large cult around that.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Grabs his handy book of the radio scripts... "Fit The Tenth", the Heart of Gold lands inside the cup that forms part of a 15-mile high statue of Arthur that was built by a race that overthrew its robots after seeing Arthur criticise the Nutrimatic machine and throw a bad cup of tea at it.

But the problem is that it comes much later than the Magrathea story, and we know we're going to Magrathea because Slartibartfast has been cast.

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough where this cult leader comes from.

Nick_Gray

Agent
It would seem there would be a few different places a "cult leader" would fit in.

The end of the world at the beginning of the story would easily tolerate a "The End is Nigh" type of cult.

Put a different perspective on it, and it would easily fit the hyperintelligent philosophers from a different dimension who designed the earth and from whom our mice are decended...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks