Casting Derek Jacobi in a sitcom pilot is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Seaver, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

... the equivelent to using a nuclear weapon to eliminate termites. But, NBC's done it anyway:

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?30426 (at bottom)

And isn't it a very NBC sort of thing to do? It's not enough for them to have a Rupert Everett show, they've got to absolutely stock the cast with guys who really don't need to do TV.

BTW... I'm considering doing a pilot roundup thread again this year, if there's interest. Is there?

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

There probably will be people watching it because Jacobi is in it.

Any idea what "Mr Ambassador" is even about? Is it even a sitcom?

The other question is, when was Jacobi on "Frasier"?

Jason

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I seem to recall reading that Jacobi played an actor or academic that Frasier & Niles admired (who was, of course, a pain in the neck; this being Frasier and all, there was probably a misunderstanding that could have been easily resolved early on).

And Mr. Ambassador is in fact a sitcom, with Everett as the new British Ambassador to the US who gets terribly confused by wacky American things.

I can't help but think of how NBC hired Joan Plowright and Glenn Headly to back up Nathan Lane on Encore! Encore!, though.

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

"Mr Ambassador" seems like it could be a sort-of Americanized version of "Yes, (Prime) Minister". Sounds pretty good.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer