Castaway: 1.85/1 or 2.35/1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonTil, Sep 1, 2001.

1. JasonTil

JasonTil Agent

I just got around to watching Castaway last night and though the box says 2.35 to 1, the picture looks like it is 1.85 to 1.
    Can someone help me on this one?
    Jason Tilley

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

The DVD is in the correct aspect ratio. The box cover has a typo.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

the packaging is wrong... the OAR of 'Cast Away' is 1.85:1
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

4. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

The DVD back cover is mislabeled, the movie is present in its correct aspect ratio of 1.85:1.
    ------------------
    Frank
    [​IMG]
    DVD Collection | Website

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Hows that for a fast response. Three responses on top of each other.
    ------------------
    Bombardment Society - Member

6. JasonTil

JasonTil Agent

Thanks for all the quick responses.
    Jason

7. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I remember seeing this in the theater and thinking this is going to be an awesome DVD. I wish Zemeckis would have went with 2.35:1 because to me, the wider the image the more it displays the size and scope of the film. So when I got the DVD I was psyched it said 2.35:1 until I watched it and got kind of disappointed, but I can easily live with it because it is one of the best discs out there.

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

quote: the wider the image the more it displays the size and scope of the film[/quote] A common misconception. Any AR can display size and scope if it's used properly. Look at Gone with the Wind; the burning of Atlanta, Scarlet's search for the doctor on the field where the wounded are laid out for treatment, the "I'll never be hungry again" scene -- all of these convey huge size and scope in a 1.33:1 AR.
    Shooting Cast Away in 1.85:1 allowed Zemeckis to isolate Hanks in the frame more effectively -- an important consideration given the length of time that Hanks is alone on screen. The 1.85 AR certainly didn't curtail Zemeckis' ability to convey size and scope. That 360-degree shot when Hanks climbs to the top of the mountain to survey the island couldn't be more effective at conveying the vastness of the world in which he's been lost.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on September 03, 2001 at 12:24 AM]

9. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I'm surprised Zemeckis didn't shoot this one in "widescreen", as he calls it in the Forrest Gump commentary. What he calls simply widescreen is 2.35:1 and he said a lot of people were surprised that he did Gump in it. It seems like this film would take advantage of scope more than Gump.
    Also, I recently learned that Back To The Future has a negative ratio of 1.33:1, therefore it's open matte on the VHS release (I have it, got it a long time ago before getting into DVD, it was about $3). Anyways, now I can watch BTTF if I want, relatively guilt-free. Open matte is still not OAR, but it's far preferable to P&S, and my only choice since I'm not buying anything BTTF until it's on DVD.
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

10. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit