What's new

Cast Your Votes: 6 AFI titles not yet released on BD (1 Viewer)

Vote for the films that you would absolutely purchase, if released on a 2K or 4K BD

• Total voters

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If the spirits of Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant had thought they had the tie and lock on both "The Philadelphia Story" and "Bringing Up Baby", then think, again.
Baby's just broken loose in the night and is now ahead by a spot.
Once again, Criterion; we'd really love to get our claws on this feline of a film.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I voted for "Swing Time" and "A Place in the Sun". Love to see all the Astaire/Rogers on Blu. I prefer "Top Hat" over "Swing Time" though. Not a big fan of The Marx brothers and I would eventually get "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" somewhere down the line.

With all the classic films all ready out on blu, I'm miffed why the Astaire/Rogers movies and the Rooney/Garland films aren't out by now. Is it an issue with the film elements??

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I voted for "Swing Time" and A Place in the Sun". Love to see all the Astaire/Rogers on Blu. I prefer "Top Hat" over "Swing Time" though. Not a big fan of The Marx brothers and I would eventually get "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" somewhere down the line.

With all the classic films all ready out on blu, I'm miffed why the Astaire/Rogers movies and the Rooney/Garland films aren't out by now. Is it an issue with the film elements??
Agreed.
Not a single representative BD of Andy Hardy to be found.
And, might I add, where's Shirley Temple been at?
At the very least, we should have a BD of Ford"s "Wee Willie Winkle".

Last edited:

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Love to see all the Astaire/Rogers on Blu. I prefer "Top Hat" over "Swing Time" though.
I would too, though I'd be hard pressed to rank Top Hat vs. Swing Time. I like the Top Hat story a little better, but I like the Swing Time music a little better.

---------------

Reactions: PMF

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A Place in the Sun would be my #1 choice. Mellor's cinematography, Stevens' direction, the haunting score, the two most gorgeous leads ever in tight close ups. Great acting too.
#2 would be Wuthering Heights for Toland's cinematography, the score, Wyler's direction, and the great Geraldine Fitzgerald.
#3 would be Swing Time for Kern's score, Stevens' direction and the glorious dancing.
#4 would be The Philadelphia Story for the wonderful Virginia Weidler.
#5 would be Bringing Up Baby because it has the most beautiful cats.
#6 would be A Night at the Opera because it has the Anvil Chorus mixed up with Take Me out to the Ball Game. Hysterical.

A PLACE IN THE SUN and A NIGHT AT THE OPERA are my choices

Reactions: PMF

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I voted for "Swing Time" and "A Place in the Sun". Love to see all the Astaire/Rogers on Blu. I prefer "Top Hat" over "Swing Time" though. Not a big fan of The Marx brothers and I would eventually get "Bringing Up Baby" and "The Philadelphia Story" somewhere down the line.

I have no idea for sure if it is an issue with the film elements, but at this point, it probably is (and not just for them). As I have mentioned multiple times, they have only released ONE 30s film on blu in the nearly 5 years they have been releasing movies on the format. The film elements for all their remaining films from that decade must be in bad shape if they aren't even releasing any of the obscure films that might be in better shape (or for that matter, any of the films that they might have remastered themselves and released on dvd since they started their mod program).
And as for the Rooney/Garland films (plus Barkleys of Broadway)? Those seem to be unlikely since WAC has yet to release ANY MGM musicals made before 1954 on blu (their only pre-1954 musical releases were all originally Warner productions). I hope they prove me wrong soon, because a lot of these movies are films I have on dvd and would GLADLY upgrade to blu (especially as storage space becomes more and more of an issue for me).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] I hope they prove me wrong soon, because a lot of these movies are films I have on dvd and would GLADLY upgrade to blu (especially as storage space becomes more and more of an issue for me).
One can only imagine what lesser space we'd all have if our current collections were actually reels of 16 and 35mm prints.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks