"Cast Away" correct aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JamesCB, Apr 22, 2004.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

About a year ago I accidently purchased the single disc, full screen version of Cast Away. Yesterday I was in a used CD/DVD store and saw they had both the single-disc and two-disc widescreen versions of this film. I traded my copy for the two-disc widscreen and am happy.

But, I noticed some thing strange. The single-disc widescreen version had an anamorphic presentation of 1.78:1 while the two-disc version was anamorphic 2.35:1. Why would there be a different aspect ratio of the same film? Why would a two-disc special edition have a wider aspect? I thought the aspect ratio was determined by the direcor. Would you be losing some of the picture in the 1.78:1 version? What aspect is your version? Just thought it was strange to see different widescreen aspects of the same film. Any input on this topic will be appreciated.

Thanx,
    James

2. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I don't have the DVD, but I saw (and ran) the film in theaters, and it was 1.85:1. I imagine the "2.35:1" label is probably a misprint. It happens from time to time.

3. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I have the 2-disc version and I could almost swear that it's 2:35.

I would say i'm about 98% sure that my copy is 2:35.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

5. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I own the 2-disk set and I've watched it multiple times. I'm 100% certain it's 1.85:1 aspect ratio. [​IMG]

If you saw 2.35:1 anywhere then it was a misprint.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

is this the same kind of misprint that had the original Aliens DVD release labelled as 2.35:1 and caused lots of my customers to come back complaining that they had a fullscreen version of the film? This is basic, common sense people. Why can't studios get this kind of technical stuff right?

8. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. I put the movie in last night, it fills the entire screen of my 16:9 tv. The box does say 2.35:1, so it is obviously a misprint. BTW it is 1.78:1 and not 1.85:1. If it were 1.85:1, I'd have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Thanks again for the replies.

James

9. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Actually, those black bars are not noticable on most TVs because TVs have something called overscan. It means that parts of the picture are outside of the 16x9 area that you can see. TV-manufacturers do this because one of the first things to deteriorate on a TV are the edges of the tube, so they black it out.
    Try to play it on a PC, and you should see some small, black bars at the top and bottom.