Cassette to CD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_M, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I have some old cassette tapes (voice only) I would like to convert over to CD. Is there a way I could do this with my PC. Converting it to MP3 would be great. What is my best and easiest approach? I was thinking on using the MIC in on my sound card and the recorder software. Thanks Bob

2. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Bob, you should be able to simply plug your stereo into your sound card (may need an adapter from RadioShack to convert the RCA to a headphone type input for the sound card though). Then simply record with Windows Sound Recorder, that creates a .wav file. From there you have all kinds of options. Remember to set the File properties to "PCM 48.000 kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo" before recording, r you won't get CD quality sound in the wav file. I am sure that there are other ways to do this, but I have done it that way before and it worked for me. You definately want to do it through you PC sound card though.

You can use various software products to convert wav > mp3, and if you want to just create an audio CD, well the format on those are in wav so you would only need to burn the wav files on the CD. I use Nero to burn CD's but there are others that work well.