Cassette Tapes to CD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Raymond G, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Raymond G

Raymond G Agent

What will I need to transfer some cassette tapes to CD's?

Thanks,

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Raymond, I use a software package called Easy CD Creator and I think I have version 6 of it. I use a simple method of plugging my Sony boombox into my sound card and recording wav files on my hard drive. From there, I burn it on to a cd using the roxio software I referenced above. If you don't want to sit there while the recording is being done to separate them into tracks, you'll need another software like Cool Edit Pro which allows you to split one long wav file into separate ones.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you plan to do anything other than simply record them to wav and record them directly to CD, then most any program will do.
    But if you plan to do any type of editing such as reducing the hiss level etc, then you'll need an audio editing software. Cool Edit is mentioned above and is a great piece of software. If you're doing this for yourself, I wouldn't recommend getting the Pro version as it's rather pricey. You can get Cool Edit 2000 for about $50 or so. It will do everything you need.

Try http://www.syntrillium.com for more info.

If you've got alot of this type of work to do, you'll also do better to use a component cassette deck instead of a boombox or similar unit. With those types of playback decks, you usually have to use the headphone output to get the signal from the tape to the PC. Even the slight amplification through the headphone output can add a ton of noise to the signal, meaning more clean up work to do with software.
    If you have a seperate casssette deck with RCA outputs, that's the best way to get the signal to the computer.

4. Raymond G

Raymond G Agent

Thanks for the responses. All I have left that plays cassettes is a boombox. On my computer the sound card is built in. So would I get a splitter that takes the left and right audio and reduces it down to a single jack?

Also I already have the Easy CD Creator 5 already. So this should be all I need.

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

There is a cable you can get that has two male ends that are stereo. You can plug that into the headphones of your boombox and the other end into your soundcard. Since you have Easy CD Creator 5, you will have to "babysit" and split the tracks yourself instead of having the luxury of recording one long wav file. Happy Recording. [​IMG]