What's new

Cassette Deck Question (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A few years back I converted all my tapes to cd and a friend was thinking about buying the dual deck which is a Sony ES model.
I let him take it home and test it out and he said it started to screach pretty loud.
I was thinking that it might be the lub that dried out and it seems pretty easy to clean up and put some new lube on.
Anyone know if this is usually an easy thing to correct?
I doubt if most places would fix it cheap or at least cheaper than what I would see it for.
Grant

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hmm... never heard of a cassette deck needing to be lubed. Anytime I had that squealing problem it ended up being the tape, if I recall – typically factory pre-recorded tapes (which were generally pretty cheap stuff, quality-wise).

But come to think of it, if there are any belts in the drive system, they could be causing problems. Rubber belts naturally harden over time, and when those belts sit in one place for a really long time, they “form” and to the wheels they’re wrapped around. When that happens they don’t like to be pressed back into service again. A belt-driven turntable I once tried to bring out of retirement promptly broke the belt. In your case perhaps the spools are turning but the belt isn’t.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Wayne
It's good to get a sanity check before 'I pop the top'.
Many years ago I picked up a little SW program called Sony tips and repairs.
It seems to be notes from repair shops and it comes in pretty handy.
Let you know what I find.
Grant

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
obviously, i know you're gonna check it out first, but does the deck do it all the time?

personally, i'm with wayne - in all my experiences it's always been the cassette that screeched. i've *never* had a tape deck (i've had like four or five, all the way up to a nakamichi) screech due to mechanical problems.

also, i'm sure you prolly know this as well, but don't use any alcohol based solution on the rubber parts.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I just like to close the loop on things...

Took the guy forever to give it back and sure enough it did squeal like a pig.

Opened it up and sprayed it with caig rubber reuvenator and it's silent once again.

Thanks everyone
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks