Cassavetes on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHenderson, Jan 4, 2003.

1. MattHenderson

Over the past couple of years I've had the pleasure of introducing myself to several of the films of John Cassavetes (my favorites so far are "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" and "Faces"). The Pioneer DVD releases are all full frame, however, while the Anchor Bay release of "Minnie and Moskowitz" is in anamorphic widescreen. I assume then that most of his films were composed for 1.85:1, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know if there are plans to release widescreen versions of "Faces," "A Woman Under the Influence" or "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie," or even if the elements exist? The print used for the "Shadows" DVD is in terrible condition, and "The Killing of a Chinese Bookie" could use a clean-up, too. How about a Cassavetes retrospective, a la the Kurosawa / Mifune films currently touring the art house / film society scene? Anyway, I'd at least like to purchase high-quality DVD releases of these classic indie films. Hopefully someone has good news to share. Thanks for your time.

Matt

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    His film "Gloria" is coming out in the next month or so.

Crawdaddy

3. Mehdy

Mehdy Stunt Coordinator

Iused to have all the pioneer special editions-problem was the transfers. This man was a genius. He brought real life to film-he knack was to make you feel unconformable-to expand your horzions-one of the best films yet released-was HUSBANDS-this was a true classic. I kept minnie and bookie and got rid of the rest because of the poor quality-I am hoping somebody will do justice to this man.:b

4. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

Chicago's Gene Siskel Film Center did a Cassavetes retrospective program, including:

Shadows
    A Child is Waiting
    Faces
    Husbands
    A Woman Under the Influence
    The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
    Opening Night
    Gloria
    Love Streams
    (and maybe Minnie & Moskowitz too; at any rate, I didn't see that one)

so the prints are out there and ready to go. You just have to find a place willing to do it and cajole them, I suppose.

I'm not sure about aspect ratios, though some of the later films were (I believe) projected at 1.33:1. From what I know about Cassavetes, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to imagine that he composed for 1.33:1 and then theatres matted to 1.66 or 1.85, though, of course, his compositions were often deliberately unusual, to put it diplomatically. Let's put it this way: you don't watch a Cassavetes film for engaging visuals.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

IFC shows a beautiful (for digital cable anyway) OAR print of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie from time to time so good elements do exist.