What's new

Cassandra Crossing / Domino Principle (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

61FyYdfA-5L._SX300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
One of my first DVDs bought from Amazon-UK in 2001 was the Carlton "The Cassandra Crossing". It was R2 Wide screen but was a window 4.3 with english subtiles. I highly recommend the movie. The BR will be a vast improvement in all ways.

One minor detail was the train is going from Geneva toward Basel it passed thru Visp (near Brig ) which is near the Matternhorn part of Switzerland which is far away from the route Geneva-Basel- I have found the part. From the helicopter. you see the Matterhorn and then the train going thru the station Visp going towards Brig but Basil is sort of North of Geneva not south east.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
1976 was the year for Associated General Film . Not only did we get CASSANDRA CROSSING but also VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED and THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. I truly enjoyed each of those films in their own particular unique way. Will be getting CASSANDRA CROSSING. Zit hanks Shout.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just happened to see that THE CASSANDRA CROSSING was released on Blu-ray today. One of my favorites from long ago, I jumped at the chance back in 2001 to get this movie in disc format. Prior to that, all I'd had was a crappy VHS copy. The Artisan/Pioneer DVD was letterboxed 1.85:1 - just perfect for my old 32" SONY tube set of that era. Though the print was pretty bad, just the fact that I'd gotten a widescreen copy was a thrill.

Now the thought of a clean Blu-ray has me champing at the bit. There are no reviews posted yet, but I can't imagine it not being a big improvement.

Harry

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I kinda liked CASSANDRA CROSSING but absolutely despised DOMINO PRINCIPLE. It was one of the few films for which I could not come up with a single redeeming quality (except for Gene Hackman, but even he was only mediocre, having to deal with a total crap script), and so-o-o wished I had used the three bucks or so for something more pleasurable. I suspect Shout! knew they had a loser, and so paired it with a decent movie for a fair price.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dick said:
I kinda liked CASSANDRA CROSSING but absolutely despised DOMINO PRINCIPLE. It was one of the few films for which I could not come up with a single redeeming quality (except for Gene Hackman, but even he was only mediocre, having to deal with a total crap script), and so-o-o wished I had used the three bucks or so for something more pleasurable. I suspect Shout! knew they had a loser, and so paired it with a decent movie for a fair price.
Like ahollis, I just sort lump ALL those '75-'77 Associated General films into one big category of international-action movies with Gene Hackman, George Kennedy and Sophia Loren in them for foreign markets. (For some reason "March or Die" sprang to mind, too.)
I was too young to see most of them anyway, so they fell into one big blur, and think Shout's treating them as the same bulk commodity. Like the 80's titles on their Scream Factory line, only now with the ITC deal.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've never seen THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE, so it's just another disc that will probably sit unwatched maybe forever. This won't be the first two-fer that I bought for exclusively one movie.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My package arrived today with THE CASSANDRA CROSSING / THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE - and I hadn't realized that both movies were on the same disc - and that there are two discs, one Blu-ray and one DVD. When I saw the title, I just ordered it without delving into the details, so I thought the two discs were two Blu-rays, one for each movie. But this works out better, because we still have a lot of DVD players around.

And since my computer only does DVDs, I can upload a screen shot or three:

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h01m10s158.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h01m50s91.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h02m34s34.jpg

The Blu-ray looks even better than these, of course.

Harry

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Wait, is the image cropped, then? Cassandra Crossing is a 'scope film, but those caps look to be 16X9.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Worth said:
Wait, is the image cropped, then? Cassandra Crossing is a 'scope film, but those caps look to be 16X9.
My old letterboxed Artisan DVD was 16:9 and so is the new Blu-ray and DVD. FWIW, IMDb lists it as a 1.85:1 film. (corrected)

Harry

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I could have sworn this was 'scope, but I guess not.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Digging back to an old thread with a little update.

I was looking at this combo release the other day on my shelf. In recent years, I've become a bigger fan of Gene Hackman's work and I saw that he was in this movie that I own but have never seen. So I gave it a turn in my player.

It's not a terribly long movie, so it was easy enough to sneak into my viewing. Admittedly, I fell asleep within twelve minutes of the start - twice! - but is was just due to tiredness, not boredom. Actually, I was eager to see where it was all going.

I finally finished the movie last evening and found it a lot better than I was led to believe. It's not awful. Yeah, it's a little far-fetched in the logic department, but thrillers like this often are. And it does echo the creeping paranoia that we all felt in the 70s. Hackman was in fine form as was Richard Widmark. Even Mickey Rooney turned in a good dramatic performance. The only one that didn't feel right to me was Candice Bergman. I don't think she was right for the role.

The Blu-ray looked like a nice transfer and the sound seemed on par with other 70s thrillers. Dialog was clear and understandable at all times.

I can see myself watching this one again some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks