What's new

Cashiers Commenting on What I Purchase (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've had it. I am fed up. I am sick and ****ing tired of clerks and cashiers who feel the need to comment on the appropriateness of what I purchase.
I hate it. Unfortunately, I do not have the intimidating appearance or body size that would make people hestitant to voice opinions. Just the reverse. They seem to feel that they can just run off at the mouth over everything I buy. I'm not talking about normal chitchat - these are pointed comments on certain items that I've bought.
For instance, I once bought a bunch of a very pricey brand of bacon when it was on sale. Dimwit cashier asked "What to you do with all that bacon" in a tone suggesting she thought the answer was somewhat kinky. WTF? I would have thought it would be obvious ("Freeze it, then eat it. Duh.")
Yesterday, it was the Zombie DVD. The guy at Best Buy had to loudly exclaim to the whole store "Zombie, oh COME ON LADY!!" and then reading the back "A GOREHOUND CLASSIC???" Now, this was a bit humorous when it started (granted, I don't look the type to enjoy such fare, but I can assure you I love the zombie genre), but it quickly became old and tiresome. I'm getting pissed off enough now to go back today and complain to the manager.
Of course, I know what the solution is, and I resolve to practice it in the future. I have tried to be "nice" in my life, but I've had it. The next innappropriate comment I get will get a nice rude response of "I'm the customer and it's none of your goddamn business." Politeness is a wonderful concept, but people make it so damned hard.
:angry:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Second the comment about the online stores. Only little computer chips know, and they only talk amongst themselves.
Now if we can just fix the chinese food situation: for years and years I bought takeout from the same place. Then they started bringing out your order and opening the boxes there on the checkout desk, sticking their grubby paws all over, and saying "Is this what you ordered?", meanwhile with people breathing clouds of bacterial and viral poison all over.
My reply: "Well, it WAS". I left as fast as I could and never went back.
:angry:

Julie K

Screenwriter
The only problem with online ordering is (1) the lack of instant gratification - I really enjoy grabbing a disc off the shelf and taking it home to enjoy - and (2) groceries. It's real hard to buy meat and the occasional fresh veggie online. Or at least at reasonable prices.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Luckily for me I only buy R1 NTSC which means I couldn't go to a store to buy dvds even if I wanted to :D
The only comment I've recieved was last week when I bought a book in a store - I normally buy them online too - and the cashier said they had to read it at Uni, and kind of asked if I was taking english lit or whatever and I responded in my normal hesitant way, "Um, uh no. I take film at Uni...just reading it for fun."
That killed the conversation, and I was thankful.
So the general rule of thumb is, "avoid human contact at all times" its the only way to be sure :D (yes I am a little crazy).

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I hear you Julie.... I've also had those moments.....

You know sometimes you get these clerks who couldn't give a sh** but they also have a "zombie" action to them.... no personality, no nothing..... but at least they leave your psyche intact... that is if you can stand to be just totally ignored... even when they drop your change because they don't pay attention to where your hand is.

Then you get these HYPER kids who run off at the mouth at any provocation at all.... like your Zombie or bacon purchase.... They are irritating at the other end of the spectrum.

Rarely do you find someone who is simply professional and pays you that slight hint of recognition that leaves you slightly noticed but with the knowledge you have just been helped by a professional who's done this a long time and understands how to appreciate a customer.

Having been in the professional sales field for 20 years, I notice this stuff a lot and yes sometimes, you get some of those irritating types.......

I just think a lot of businesses would/could be helped by a professional holding some simple classes on handling customers throughout the purchase...........

Shawn McBride

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I always get comments over the most inane things, like if my checkout at the grocery store includes ground beef and taco shells. "I know what SOMEBODY'S having for dinner!"... :rolleyes:Yeah that's some dangerous information you got there buddy! Use it wisely!
I never get comments when I fully expect them, though. Like yesterday morning when I went to Pep Boys and bought one wiper blade. The woman at the counter didn't even flinch. I wanted to yell at her, "Come on lady, it's ONE WIPER BLADE! Comment, Dangit!" :)
Shawn

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I always buy LOTS of Pepsi at the grocery store and usually I like to stock up on other stuff, like chips and such. I don't know how many times I have heard "Someone's having a party!" Or "You must be really thirsty!"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, if some cashier started crap with me over what I buy, I'd have so much fun ripping him up.

The only time I let them do that is when I buy CDs at a couple of stores I frequent. I'm very friendly with the staff, so we always tease each other about our musical selections.

I never get slack from cashiers, though. I guess I "have the intimidating appearance or body size that would make people hestitant to voice opinions."

Julie, next time someone starts crap with you, insult their poor salaries and appearance. That'll shut them up.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Instead of being so uptight and thinking everyone is out to make fun of you, how about try playing along? I've had grocery store folks say "doing a little baking"? I'd just say "duh, yeah". Someone critiques a cd or game purchase because they don't like it then say, "well I do."
How hard is that? Instead of being mean to someone because they ask a stupid question, try being nice. As far as the bacon question...well I might have asked also. Maybe I like new recipes and you were making something that had bacon in it. People are curious.
And some of us wonder why the employees at these stores are rude sometimes...
:rolleyes:
They are probably only trying to make conversation and be friendly after standing there running boxes over a laser for 8 hours a day. If you don't like human contact then why go to stores?

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I hate it when the check out clerks start reading the magazines I am purchasing. That annoys me sooooo much!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"...the lack of instant gratification ..."
Think of this way, Ms. K: "The hunt is always better than the kill." As in matters of the heart, much of the exhilaration comes from sheer anticipation. Thus, when I ordered five DVDs online this past week, I eagerly awaited those USPS boxes that I would see sitting on top of my mailbox upon returning home from work (secured apartment building, btw). For me, that's much more fun than being in some damn overpriced B&M, picking up a DVD that's encased in all this antitheft plastic. As for the bacon--just what were you planning on doing with it? :)

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Sometimes cashiers can really embarrass their customers with comments. Case in point: I was in a crowded 7-11 one Friday night and saw a very nervous looking boy of about 15 buying a pack of condoms. There were about 8 people in line behind the kid and he was obviously trying to be as discreet as possible. Well, the cashier holds up the box of condoms and announces to everyone in the store, "Hey, looks like SOMEBODY'S gettin' lucky tonight! Woo Hoo!"

The whole store erupted in laughter and the kid turned bright red. I hope for his sake he DID get lucky after that humiliating experience!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Cashiers (sorry, check-out clerks or whatever) are just as bad over this side of the Herring Pond. The trouble is that the rules of normal social interaction require you to answer their inanities.

On a side issue, does anyone else find themselves looking at what other people in front of the queue are buying? I find myself constructing all sorts of scenarios. My favourite was one Saturday morning and in front of me were two women in their early twenties and obviously sharing a house. One of them was very 'obviously' attractive and amongst her purchase items were a pair of black stockings, a 12 pack of condoms, enough steak for two people and a bottle of decent red wine. The other was dumpy and not terribly good looking [she probably had a mich nicer personality and in the long run would be a more rewarding companion, before anyone flames me for wanton sexism], and in her basket was a large packet of chocolate biscuits and a jumbo-sized crossword book. Somehow you just knew what Saturday night had in store for those two.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's a funny anecdote, Andrew. And, for once, I'm at a loss for words.

Julie, two words: "DVD Empire."

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Last time I showed up for a sale at my local Sony dealer , the salesman refer to me as a 'bottom feeder' since I always show up for sales.

I wear it as a badge of honor

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When I rented movies I'd always be self-conscious of what the cashiers thought of my choices (I swear someone was trying not to laugh when I rented Ishtar!) One time I went into a Tower store all set to buy "CB4" on laserdisc, and decided not to because the people stocking the shelves had picked up a few copies and asked someone else working there "Can we throw these in the garbage?" I bought it later at another location and the cashier said "You actually LIKED this movie??"

Though I hate to spoil the illusion, I work for an online retailer now and can tell you that someone on the other end WILL laugh at you somewhere if they find anything about your purchase to laugh about, though they don't do it to your face. When taking orders from people on the phone I try to be as non-judgmental as possible, though I once had to hit the mute button so some kid wouldn't hear me laugh when before telling me what he wanted, you could hear a door close and he started whispering "Girls Gone Wild Mardi Gras and Girls Gone Wild Co-eds"! :b

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The cashier comments I've had have all been rather nice ones. One that stands out in my mind is the compliment I received on how nicely I was obviously going to treat a woman for dinner. Others have been on how the cashier should get into DVD. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.