What's new

Cases sold without accessories? (1 Viewer)

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this is odd and just a tad frustrating. I build PCs now and again. A couple of weeks ago, I bought an Inwin S506 case from Newegg. When it arrived, it was missing the front panel and, to my thinking, the accessory bag (screws, drive rails, etc.). I contacted Newegg and after a bit of a back-and-forth, they sent the correct front panel. They also sent along a small bag of screws and mobo standoffs only; no drive rails, which the case requires, nor any of the other bits and pieces. When I contacted them again, supplying the list of accessories from the mechanical drawing included with the case, Newegg replied that what they sent me was all I was going to get and if I wanted anything else, I should contact Inwin. Inwin, unfortunately, hasn't been much help. They simply referred me to another vendor who they said would sell me the accessories.

Increasingly puzzled, I called Newegg again today, hoping to accomplish by phone what I couldn't by email. After a short and civil discussion, it basically came down to this: Newegg's position now is that the accessory bag doesn't appear in their pictures of the case on the web, therefore it's not included with the case. As far as they're concerned, there's nothing missing from the case; if I choose to RMA it, I'll be subject to the 15% restocking fee.

So, I guess I'll just suck it up and buy the parts, but I wanted to ask those who build more frequently: is this, in fact, the truth? Do some OEM cases not include the necessary hardware?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I don't believe Newegg for a second. I have bought many cases online, mostly from a-pro.com and they have all come with the necessary hardware. In fact, I bought an Inwin also and it came with more than plenty mounting brackets, screws, and the like. I'd really be suspicious of Newegg; you may want to speak to someone higher up and demand that all the pieces come with your case because finding brackets that work with your particular case will be tough. If all else fails, though, check out a used computer place as they generally have a lot of those odds and ends.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
God forbid you buy a whole system from them...

"Well sir, if you look in the picture on the website, you won't find a picture of IDE cables. You'll need to purchase those yourself."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd really be suspicious of Newegg; you may want to speak to someone higher up and demand that all the pieces come with your case because finding brackets that work with your particular case will be tough
I'd suggest that advice too - Newegg are talking nonsense. Every case I've bought online (and that's a good few) have came with a bag of screws, port covers etc. Whoever you talked to on the phone is spouting nonsense.

Newegg generally have a good rep - I've ordered gear from them fine before. This is a strange issue for them to fall down on.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I agree you may want to check with a higher person in the Newegg line. I have not had a problem ordering from them and all the cases that I have ever ordered online including from newegg have come with the necesarry screws, brackets, & mounts. Although I normally buy Enlight cases ;)
Heck you might want to post something in the afterhours section considering the extra rails which are usually shipped with cases someone on this board might have some extras.
KyleS

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
That sounds like a whole load of shit to me. I've never heard of something happening like this. You buy a case, you should get everything that is required to use it properly.

What next?... you'll have to buy the power button separately?

I would do what others have suggested. Try and speak to someone with more authority at Newegg.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
A few months ago I bought an Inwin S-500 case from newegg, which arrived with all the necessary screws, standoffs, and rails (as well as some extras). Something definetly isn't right with the case that you got. Talk to a manager.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Did you make your purchase with a credit card or with your checking account debit/visa card?
If you used a straight 3rd party credit card (no connection to your bank account) then take it up with them and tell them that you are unwilling to pay the charges since they didnt send you the whole product.
If you used a bank card then it makes it a little harder since most banks just go by the fact that you authorized the charge therefore its your problem. (mine did this :angry: )
KyleS

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses, folks. When I get a chance tomorrow, I'm going to take your advice, call Newegg and hope that a manager will help get this situation resolved. It made absolutely no sense to me that someone would sell a case without the accessories, but I thought I'd ask, just to make sure.

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
There is no joy in Mudville. The Newegg manager I spoke with seemed puzzled at first; he knew something about cases and I think he thought it odd, as well, that the accessories wouldn't be there. He contacted someone else at Newegg, however, and came back on with the same spiel: it's not shown in the photographs on the site, so therefore it's not included. Even when I pointed out that there's no power cord shown either, but that I had received one, he wouldn't budge. He was apologetic, but that was the final answer: it's just not included with the case. He did offer to waive the restocking fee. I'm going to take him up on it, even though it means eating the shipping. It's really not worth any more of my time.
So, I guess the lesson here is this: if a common accessory isn't shown with a product on Newegg's website, don't take it for granted that you'll get it. :rolleyes

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Oh boy that really bites! I'm not sure which case you actually got, but I've been looking around newegg's site.
Here is a picture of one case:
http://65.119.30.151/productimage/11-108-156-05.JPG
Note it *does* use the mounting brackets, however it does look the same as all the other InWin cases. The brackets also look fairly standard so you may have luck finding them at some used computer place somewhere. I used to have quite a few extra, but I gave them away otherwise I would have sent them to you.
In this image:
http://65.119.30.151/productimage/11-108-155-03.JPG
It clearly shows the powercord. I'm not saying what they're doing is right at all cause I think it totally sucks! But what I am saying is that if they wanted to argue about what's shown in the picture, they did show the powercord and not the brackets. Gees, though, the brackets are so inexpensive I don't see what the big deal would have been to send you some. :angry:
You have my sympathies. Just as a note, I find the cases that don't use the brackets much more useful. They have some that only screw in on one side so you can still get the drives out quickly. Either way, though, I'd make sure you get everything you're supposed to next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks