Case Logic CD notebooks damage CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, everyone. I posted this in the HT Software forum, but I can't seem to get an answer, so I thought I'd post it here as well. I have several of Case Logic's 200 disc CD notebooks. They've always seemed to be quality products to me. I had a CD notebook in the past that damaged some of my CDs, but I had never noticed a Case Logic one doing it. Lately, I've been noticing some small places on some of my CDs that look like the metal or whatever inside the CD has eroded or something. It seems to be kind of inside the CD if that's possible. Does anyone here know what this may be? Has anyone here had instances of Case Logic CD notebooks damaging his/her collection? These notebooks are very convenient, but if there is a history of them damaging CDs, I will be disposing of them immediately. I have too much money invested in my music collection to throw it away. Like I said, I've already had nearly 150 CDs damaged from another brand of notebook (got some kind of abrasion or something on the outer edges from some plastic stuff that the CD surface was exposed to, and about the last two tracks won't play on each one without serious skipping; if anyone has any idea of how to get rid of this, please, for God's sake, tell me), and I'm not interested in having it done again.

2. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Yes, I am convinced that these notebooks (and other caselogic products) can ruin cd's. I have many cd's with scuffs on them that I used to keep in a case in my car. Sometimes I accidentally left the case open and on the floor of the car. For all I know, little stones and other materials could have gotten into them. But, it was so many of my discs. Now I have been using the 12 cd holder that you put on your visor. These sleeves are made out of a material rather than plastic. Every now and then I hear a new skip in a cd. I haven't determined yet if the cd just needs to be cleaned - but I am suspicious of the case.

As far as fixing them, you could by a disc doctor (or game doctor). If you are persistent with it, they do work. I have repaired many discs with it. Some of the big scuffs takes a lot of persistance. Or, of you have a grinder (with a buffing wheel) you could probably use that with a light touch. Try it on a disc you don't care about first.

So, I guess I can't answer your main question for sure, but I think that those cases are a problem.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Well I use Case Logic sleeves to hold all of my CDs and none of them have any scratches because of the sleeves. However, I don't use the notebook pages.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

5. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Thanks to all who've replied! Yes, Will, that sounds like what's wrong with my CDs. It's on quite a few. This would be the manufacturer's fault, correct? Also, is there anything I can do to correct the problem? Thanks again for all the reponses!

Rob

6. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if anyone here does this but I copy my original CD's to CD-R's and use the copied discs in my car. That way if I fumble the discs in the car or if they get stolen, I still have my originals.

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I know for a fact that some of these CD holders scuff discs. Last year, I bought some new discs and a holder and soon fine scratches developed. Add this to a very sensitive car cd player and I had nothing but problems. I quit using the cd holder and now cart my discs around in their jewel boxes, using one of those jewel box holders.

8. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Yes, they damage cd's.
    I had a book filled with over 150 CD's and all of them had scratches from being put in and taken out over a period of time. [​IMG]
    The CD's are still worthy of being played but they are "damaged" with surface scratches all over them.
    I won't use another notebook unless someone knows of one that won't damage the CD's.

9. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I'm looking into moving my collection from CaseLogic notebooks into DiscSox sleeves. Anyone have any experience with these? Are they higher quality than the CaseLogics? I just can't afford to keep my stuff in Jewel Cases anymore since I need to be able to move my CD collection around often.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I use BagsUnlimited CDSleeves #SCDDPJ (5 5/8 x 4 7/8) resealable sleeves. They are individual transparent bag-like sleeves with two pockets - in one pocket goes the front artwork and the back artwork (the edges of the back artwork are visible, so one can see the name of the album when one flips through them), and in the other pocket goes the disc itself. They are made of a harmless, odorless, plastic baggie material.

I selected them because they measure EXACTLY the same as a CD, so they fit perfectly in my Napa Valley CD crates. MANY similar baggies are not an exact fit.

To make it even better I added some of those white plastic divider cards (#DCD56P) which are also exactly CD sized, so I could divide by bands. The difference in space is amazing, and it is so refreshing not to care if a mail ordered CD has a cracked case, since the jewel cases get thrown away anyway!

My only criticism of this selection is that they aren't really as resealable as they claim -- there is a sticky strip across the back which seals too well, but there is an easy workaround. It really doesn't matter to me because I have a jukebox style CD player, so I am not often opening and resealing them. The point of the seal is to keep out dust.

Before I selected this, I rejected all the systems that have no place to store the back-cover art.

I also tried DiscSox, or something very similar (it may have been DiscSox before DiscSox became famous). I was shocked to find that they _smelled_ horrid - they were made of the same materials that shower curtains are made of - a cancerous plastic-softener stink that made my hands turn red when I touched them. Threw those away! Disgusting.