Case Logic CD notebooks damage CDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi! I have several of Case Logic's 200 disc CD notebooks. They've always seemed to be quality products to me. I had a CD notebook in the past that damaged some of my CDs, but I had never noticed a Case Logic one doing it. Lately, I've been noticing some small places on some of my CDs that look like the metal or whatever inside the CD has eroded or something. It seems to be kind of inside the CD if that's possible. Does anyone here know what this may be? Has anyone here had instances of Case Logic CD notebooks damaging his/her collection? These notebooks are very convenient, but if there is a history of them damaging CDs, I will be disposing of them immediately. I have too much money invested in my music collection to throw it away. Like I said, I've already had nearly 150 CDs damaged from another brand of notebook (got some kind of abrasion or something on the outer edges from some plastic stuff that the CD surface was exposed to, and about the last two tracks won't play on each one without serious skipping; if anyone has any idea of how to get rid of this, please, for God's sake, tell me), and I'm not interested in having it done again.

2. Robert Burkes

*Bump*

I could really use some input on this, guys. Please let me know if you have had any experience with them or other brands. Are CD notebooks in general a bad idea? Thanks.

Rob

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Any of those CD folders are bad news for CDs. Most of my friends who use them's CDs look like they've been thru the wars

4. Robert Burkes

What would you all recommend for storing and transporting CDs in large quantities? Thanks for the reply.

Rob

5. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I have been using the Case Logic notebooks for many, many years and have had no problems whatsoever. I use them for all of my CDs and CD-Rs. I access my CDs very frequently every day, and have had no scratches or nicks of any kind. I must add that I am always very careful when taking them in and out of the cases and that I never travel very far with them.
    I like the 48 and 200-disc capacity Case Logic cases so much that I got rid of all my jewel cases (I kept the front/back covers and booklets, however). This saved me a huge amount of storage space, especially since I live in a small condo. I don't plan on doing this for my DVDs, however--I like the cover art too much to do this!

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A have one for my CDs and there's more than a dozen "pages" that tore and fell out.

The holes need to be stronger...they're too thin.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Someone, at least at one point was making books with plastic jewel case tray pages. I'd recommend those

8. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I had an off-brand holder that left abrassions on my disks [​IMG]
    I've switched to Case Logic and haven't noticed the same problems. I was going to ditch the whole idea of a CD holder, but I need the storage ... I used to be so anal about protecting them, but they're only movies for gosh sakes.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Case Logic (48s) work fine for me.

Ted

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I've come up with another storage option that is very much LIKE a Caselogic book but in which you can store all of the cover art. Some people just add some Avery page protector sheets to the Caselogic albums, but that mix of black and clear just doesn't look snazzy enough for me, so I came up with this:
    At Staples I noticed they were selling a new kind of plastic binder which, like a zipper binder, is sealed on all sides. Except it is not zipped, it seals shut very much like a DVD case. It's called a UniKeep View Case Binder. www.unikeep.com
    How to describe?
    Imagine a clear plastic DVD case which measures about 12" high, 9 or 10 inches wide, and either one inch thick, or a smaller 1/2 inch thick (it comes in both sizes). Or if you're not good at numbers, imagine this: a clear plastic DVD case that is about the size of an LP. It is entirely made of transparent (cloudy white, actually) plastic, is perfectly flat and sharp cornered (unlike a padded Caselogic case, which IMO are too bulky for indoor use).
    Ok, so the next step is this: The UniKeep View Case Binder can secure anything designed for 3-ring binders. (The 3 rings in the UniKeep are not metal rings, they are simply part of the molded plastic, so they are very discrete).
    So into it I place alternating sheets of standard 8 1/2" x 11" Avery brand page protectors (in which I can save the entire cover art!), alternating with Avery CD Pages* (clear plastic sleeve with one disc on top, one disc on bottom).
    The result?
    In a half inch size UniKeep View Case Binder, I fit ten discs AND the original artwork. Aesthetically, I prefer this over the Case logic because every element is made of transparent (or cloudy) plastic, from the cover, to the page protectors, to the CD sleeves (which, unlike Caselogic sleeves, show off the disc art, if there is any).
    And the plastic is so similar in feel and look to normal DVD cases that they "go" together. Unlike the giant leather or whatever Caselogic cases.
    Cost:
    Binder is under $5
    Avery page protectors are pennies if you buy a ton of them.
    Avery CD Pages are expensive - 2 sleeves (4 discs) for $4.
    So the cost of storage per movie is, um, well probably about a dollar and change. It isn't cheaper than Caselogic - Caselogic refil pages, a set of 5 pages holding 10 discs, costs $10 (above the intial cost of the leather folder, and with no provision for saving the front cover art). So apparently they've come to feel that consumers are willing to pay over a dollar per film for storage solution.
    I hope you like this suggestion, and suggest you check out Staples soon, as this MIGHT be a "student's return to school" type of product (I'll be stocking up on more tomorrow!)
    *I suppose if I was concerned about dust I could use the padded UniKeep "CD safety-sleeves" rather than the Avery CD Pages, which are essentially Caselogic sleeves intended to fit into 3-ring binder standard, but I prefer the Avery pages because of the way they have two discs per page. And since the binders seal all around, I am not concerned about dust, so, less need for the padded style of sleeves.