What's new

Case for MCE (1 Viewer)

Paul Wocks

Auditioning
Maybe a silly question, but what would be the best dvd-player-like case for a MCE? There shouldn't be any noise. Same question about a good power supply.
Price is not really important ;-)

Harris_C

Stunt Coordinator
Here are 2 very nice cases for Media Servers, I am not sure what you mean by DVD-like, but both of these are sharp and can be fitted with a regular ATX power supply.

For the best of silence if price is not an issue Seasonic make
highly efficient and quiet PSU's. There are also, fanless PSU's, however beware some of these do not operate as well as the vendor specifies they do especially under high-load for more than an hour (i.e online gaming).

X11

LC10-M

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Completely noiseless is very hard to do, and especially so if you use the current high-end as a base for what you put inside the box.

The current crop of CPU's and graphics adapters use high amounts of power and thus generate a lot of heat that has to be removed somehow; even the new up-and-coming Xbox 360 has to have liquid cooling to be able to handle the heat generated and no doubt there are fans there too.

I'd say your choices are to go with lower-end hardware and then you can get away with passive cooling to a great extent, or else you have to give up on going with a "home theater component form factor" for the case. Here's a Google search for info about the Zalman TNN (totally no noise) series of cases. They cost a minor fortune, but they do manage to cool even the highest capacity PC hardware with no noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks