CASABLANCA SE extras query

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sergio A, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

I have just a few hours in the excellent company of the new CASABLANCA two-disc DVD. It's a wonderful package and has made me look forward even more (if that were possible) to the releases next month of ROBIN HOOD, YANKEE and SIERRA MADRE.

However, I have a query about the episode from the 1955 TV version of CASABLNCA that is included - as far as I know, they were made to fill an hour-long slot and it appears to run only 18 minutes, with a very obvious join at around the halfway mark.

While it's a shame that we have only been given extracts, especially as they appear to be in very good condition, does anyone know if the full episode exists? - and also, if there are any credits for it lying around - I'm guessing the director was probably someone like John Brahm - it would have been nice of Warners to give us a few more details in the circumstances, wouldn't it?

Still a fantastic disc and a great DVD presentation of a magnificent bit of Hollywood moonshine of old.

2. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I also found the TV version fascinating but completely mystifying because it seemed to make no sense. Knowing that the original version filled an hour slot explains a lot! I also loved the inclusion of the sponsor messages. Warner has issued various excerpts from this series introduced by Gig Young on a number of DVDs such as THE SEARCHERS. It would be interesting to see full versions of the shows.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I run a radio-movie show on Sundays on my AM radio station, and they are much like those TV versions... they are about 45 minutes without commercials, and skim over the important details so much that they make absolutely no sense to anyone who hasn't seen the film. It's nuts!

But Douglas, you're right, seeing the full version WOULD be interesting!