What's new

Blu-ray Review Casablanca: 70th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I have a question on one of the documentaries included in this set--"Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul." Most of the reviews of this new set list the running time of the documentary as 58 minutes, while most of the reviews of the prior Ultimate Collector' s Set list the running time of the documentary as 104 minutes. Can anyone confirm what the actual running time is in this new set?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
rdimucci said:
I have a question on one of the documentaries included in this set--"Jack L. Warner: The Last Mogul." Most of the reviews of this new set list the running time of the documentary as 58 minutes, while most of the reviews of the prior Ultimate Collector' s Set list the running time of the documentary as 104 minutes. Can anyone confirm what the actual running time is in this new set?
0:57.41

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Happy to have one of my favorite box sets on my shelf.
IMG_0612.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
All the same, when Bogart first sees Ilsa again he almost looks like he's been physically hit in the gut.

An emotional moment for me in the movie is when Victor Laszlo (with Rick's permission) gets the band to play La Marseillaise, the lyrics of which were written during the French Revolution in 1792. The first part of the chorus in English goes...

"To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
Let's march, let's march!"

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!

That French actress who sings and cries during that song really has a punch. She only passed away a few years ago...

Madeleine Lebeau, Jilted by Bogart in ‘Casablanca,’ Dies at 92
Humphrey Bogart and Madeleine Lebeau, who played a spurned girlfriend in “Casablanca.”

Humphrey Bogart and Madeleine Lebeau, who played a spurned girlfriend in “Casablanca.”Credit...Warner Bros., via Photofest
By William Grimes
May 16, 2016
Madeleine Lebeau, a French actress who attained movie immortality with one scene, when the camera zoomed in on her tear-stained face as she sang La Marseillaise” in “Casablanca,” died on May 1 in Estepona, Spain. She was 92....
Ms. Lebeau was 19 when she was cast in “Casablanca” as Yvonne, the spurned girlfriend of Rick Blaine, the owner of Rick’s Café Américain, played by Humphrey Bogart.
In one of the film’s pivotal scenes, Nazi officers in the cafe begin singing the patriotic song “Watch on the Rhine,” whereupon the Czech resistance leader Victor Laszlo, played by Paul Henreid, orders the house band to strike up the French national anthem....

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All the same, when Bogart first sees Ilsa again he almost looks like he's been physically hit in the gut.

An emotional moment for me in the movie is when Victor Laszlo (with Rick's permission) gets the band to play La Marseillaise, the lyrics of which were written during the French Revolution in 1792. The first part of the chorus in English goes...

"To arms, citizens,
Form your battalions,
Let's march, let's march!"

Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!

That French actress who sings and cries during that song really has a punch. She only passed away a few years ago...

Madeleine Lebeau, Jilted by Bogart in ‘Casablanca,’ Dies at 92
Humphrey Bogart and Madeleine Lebeau, who played a spurned girlfriend in “Casablanca.”

Humphrey Bogart and Madeleine Lebeau, who played a spurned girlfriend in “Casablanca.”Credit...Warner Bros., via Photofest
By William Grimes
May 16, 2016
Madeleine Lebeau, a French actress who attained movie immortality with one scene, when the camera zoomed in on her tear-stained face as she sang La Marseillaise” in “Casablanca,” died on May 1 in Estepona, Spain. She was 92....
Ms. Lebeau was 19 when she was cast in “Casablanca” as Yvonne, the spurned girlfriend of Rick Blaine, the owner of Rick’s Café Américain, played by Humphrey Bogart.
In one of the film’s pivotal scenes, Nazi officers in the cafe begin singing the patriotic song “Watch on the Rhine,” whereupon the Czech resistance leader Victor Laszlo, played by Paul Henreid, orders the house band to strike up the French national anthem....

I never said either of those guys didn't love women.;)

To this day, I still teared up whenever I watch that very emotional "La Marseillaise" scene.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You haven't opened it yet?! But there's a lovely set of coasters for your drinks inside!
View attachment 72810
I still haven't opened my "70th Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray box set that I purchased in 2012. Whenever, I watched it on Blu-ray, I play my 2008 "Ultimate Collector's Edition" Blu-ray as I believe it has the same video and audio presentations as the 2012 Blu-ray.

Edited: See this post.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I still haven't opened my "70th Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray box set that I purchased in 2012. Whenever, I watched it on Blu-ray, I play my 2008 "Ultimate Collector's Edition" Blu-ray as I believe it has the same video and audio presentations as the 2012 Blu-ray.
All the reviews at the time stated that the 2012 blu ray transfer was from a fresh 4K scan from the original negatives, so you might just want to open this up and treat yourself....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is the 2008 edition the one whose outer box has an ornately laser cut cover? That’s the one I have.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All the reviews at the time stated that the 2012 blu ray transfer was from a fresh 4K scan from the original negatives, so you might just want to open this up and treat yourself....
I might do that, but, I tend to watch "Casablanca" on digital more than Blu-ray as iTunes digital is derived from the same master used on the 2012 BD release as most of the new bonus material for that 2012 release is listed as extras on iTunes.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
A solid special feature on the blu-ray that I just watched is the doc "Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You Never Heard Of." Of course we've all heard of Curtiz, but unlike Hitchcock he didn't become a household name.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A solid special feature on the blu-ray that I just watched is the doc "Michael Curtiz: The Greatest Director You Never Heard Of." Of course, we've all heard of Curtiz, but unlike Hitchcock he didn't become a household name.
Curtiz is among my favorite five directors of all-time.

Hitchcock
Ford
Hawks
Curtiz
Brooks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks