What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is there any more news on a new release of this one?

Funny this thread popped up on my vacation and I just happened to see part of the film too.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Is there any more news on a new release of this one?

Funny this thread popped up on my vacation and I just happened to see part of the film too.
There was some talk on this thread about it being in production but no date given as to release. It’s on my hit list for sure, Blu-ray heaven, a nicely restored version would just pop even in black-and-white.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
With all this talk of Arsenic & Old Lace I thought I'd have a look at it. I ordered the DVD (s/h, only a couple of pounds, in the old Warner cardboard case). I had a quick look & the DVD doesn't look at all bad, I'm going to watch it tonight.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
With all this talk of Arsenic & Old Lace I thought I'd have a look at it. I ordered the DVD (s/h, only a couple of pounds, in the old Warner cardboard case). I had a quick look & the DVD doesn't look at all bad, I'm going to watch it tonight.
Well I'm afraid to say it didn't do it for me, basically a broad one set farce that got a bit tedious (with Cary Grant doing double takes like there's no tomorrow), maybe it would have helped if I'd seen it when I was younger (oh well, you can't like 'em all). I must say that the DVD looks great.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
My high school drama department did this the fall of 2005 and it was a riotous successes. I ran tech for it backstage and had a blast hanging out with the cast.

At the same time as the show was going on, the theater class that I was taking was chosen to be a seniors final exam/project which was that she had to run and produce her own show. She chose to do a parody of Arsenic, called Larceny & Old Lace.

Attachments

• arsenic & old lace.jpg
    arsenic & old lace.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 23
  • arsenic & old lace 2.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 2.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 17
  • arsenic & old lace 5.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 5.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
  • arsenic & old lace 7.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 7.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • arsenic & old lace 16.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 16.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 17
  • arsenic & old lace 9.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 9.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
  • arsenic & old lace 17.jpg
    arsenic & old lace 17.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I worked on a production in high school as well - it’s a good show choice for that age group and skill set, and it plays well both for younger students and their older parents. It’s remained popular in repertory in no small part thanks to that easy appeal.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The film needed the real Boris Karloff and not Raymond Massey playing Boris Karloff.
A fun Halloween romp --- but Karloff was sorely missed ---- if we could this great and then Sony can maybe do Meet John Doe to make us helots happy

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The film needed the real Boris Karloff and not Raymond Massey playing Boris Karloff.
but we all understand why Karloff was MIA in the part earlier in the thread. Sad, it would have been just that much better, although I do like Massey in the part as well!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
prime Halloween fun
Although a Fall timeline, anytime for me I love watching this title. I just did this one, Gunga Din and Bringing up Baby, in a mini fest of Carey Grant-ness!!

Attachments

• backdrop-1920.jpg
    backdrop-1920.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Gunga+Din.jpg
    Gunga+Din.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 8
  • bringingupbaby1938.568.jpg
    bringingupbaby1938.568.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can never go wrong with Cary Grant. Arsenic was one of his the last big screwball comedies.
The Bachelor and Bobby Soxer and even Mr. Blandings could be considered screwball comedies if you stretch it a bit ==== "I know a man who do - you do" Priceless or the scene at the restaurant where they sing Happy Birthday!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Bachelor and Bobby Soxer and even Mr. Blandings could be considered screwball comedies if you stretch it a bit ==== "I know a man who do - you do" Priceless or the scene at the restaurant where they sing Happy Birthday!

Those two are very Screwballesque, more so with Mr. Blanding's as that plot of that film is textbook Screwball. If it had started Katharine Hepburn it could have been the sequel to Bringing Up Baby as I could easily see Katharine playing Myrna Loy's character, as she was bit like Katharine's Susan was in Baby.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Those two are very Screwballesque, more so with Mr. Blanding's as that plot of that film is textbook Screwball. If it had started Katharine Hepburn it could have been the sequel to Bringing Up Baby as I could easily see Katharine playing Myrna Loy's character, as she was bit like Katharine's Susan was in Baby.
Excellent thoughts I think Myrna Loy kept Grant grounded to stop him from going full crazy -- love both films -- Loy underrated for sure fact is people forget she got top Billing in The Best Years Of Our Lives

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Excellent thoughts I think Myrna Loy kept Grant grounded to stop him from going full crazy -- love both films -- Loy underrated for sure fact is people forget she got top Billing in The Best Years Of Our Lives
For me Mirna Loy is synonymies with William Powell and The Thin Man series of films....wonderfull!!!

Attachments

• songofthethinman1947.1059.jpg
    songofthethinman1947.1059.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 8

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There’s always the sequence with Bergman and the apples - Indiscreet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MSC
Recent bookmarks