What's new

Cary Grant's Arsenic & Old Lace needs a restoration and UPgrade (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know many titles are in the works, from the various studios. Now that the smoke seems to be clearing a bit. But has anyone heard anything about these 2 classic Cary Grant blockbusters? Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) and Gunga Din (1939) seem woefully absent from any HD upgrades. Both are classics, and in real need of love and attention. I'd love to find out if these might be in the works for an BR upgrade? Thanks in advance for any additional information in these regards ~

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What a Cast!!!!

Attachments

• b2b20caf518eb76a8d0b1d58fd0f15a1.jpg
    b2b20caf518eb76a8d0b1d58fd0f15a1.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 70
  • cd7a57ef09b65ceb42aa2236d43e2e25.jpg
    cd7a57ef09b65ceb42aa2236d43e2e25.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 67
  • MV5BMjE0NTM0NDUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMyMzM0MzE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMjE0NTM0NDUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzMyMzM0MzE@._V1_.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 70

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Broadway play was still running when the film was made back in 1941, the film had to wait until the play finished its run first before it was released in 1944.
So Karloff was still playing the role on Broadway while the filming was done thats why they used Massey? And I thought Criterion might get this title? Wish WAC would do Meet john Doe off of OCN that Bob Furmanek found and UCLA now has

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So Karloff was still playing the role on Broadway while the filming was done thats why they used Massey?
That is correct! It's the only problem I really have with the film because I think the Karloff bit would have been even funnier if Karloff was used instead of Massey.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This blurb is taken from the film's Wikipedia page

On the Broadway stage, Boris Karloff played Jonathan Brewster, who is said to "look like Boris Karloff". According to TCM, Karloff, who gave permission for the use of his name in the film, remained in the play to appease the producers, who were afraid of what stripping the play of all its primary cast would do to ticket sales.[4] Raymond Massey took Karloff’s place on screen.[5][Note 1]

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So Karloff was still playing the role on Broadway while the filming was done thats why they used Massey?
Josephine Hull & Jean Adair were given a pass to recreate their roles on film (they shot right around the attack on Pearl Harbor in late 1941) but Karloff was not, as his comic role was such an audience pleaser that producers didn't want to lose him for the time he would have needed.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That is correct! It's the only problem I really have with the film because I think the Karloff bit would have been even funnier if Karloff was used instead of Massey.
Agreed, especially when the line about "you sure look like Karloff" come up, and it IS Karloff...it would even be funnier!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
This blurb is taken from the film's Wikipedia page

On the Broadway stage, Boris Karloff played Jonathan Brewster, who is said to "look like Boris Karloff". According to TCM, Karloff, who gave permission for the use of his name in the film, remained in the play to appease the producers, who were afraid of what stripping the play of all its primary cast would do to ticket sales.[4] Raymond Massey took Karloff’s place on screen.[5][Note 1]
Wonder how many days Massey shot his scenes in - liked him - always great in every role but the sheer amount of people that would have seen Karloff in the role with the reference to Jonathan looking like Karloff would have been millions compared to the number seeing the Broadway play. But it is a great film and the cast stellar - Karloff would have been the icing on the cake - Check out Massey in the 49th Parallel small role but GREAT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks