What's new

Cary Grant: The Complete Filmography - Watching All Of His Movies (2 Viewers)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Josh, if I'm not mistaken from earlier this thread, your wedding day is coming up any day now.

As I've had sporadic chance to check into HTF lately, I didn't want to miss this opportunity to wish you well for the 'big day', and for the many big days ahead.

To the extent that is possible gauging character sight unseen via posts on a public forum, I'd say your lady has chosen well, and I bid both of you "peace and long life"!

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thank you guys so much! It's very close - next Friday (Oct. 21st)!

I just got fitted for my tuxedo rental, and while I'm not quite Cary Grant, I think I cleaned up alright. I'm hoping to bring a little bit of his classy, elegant, timeless spirit to the proceedings.

A friend told me that he and his wife danced to nobody does it better. He just wanted to and it wasn't that he was a huge James Bond fan. I kind of wish I would've done something like that.

Either that or all the time in the world...

Or the charade soundtrack (to keep this thread on Cary grant)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Josh! Have a great party--and lifetime together!

Easy music pick for my wife and I: Moonlight in Vermont. She's a native of VT and we were married there.

In my signature below you'll find a link (Father of the Bride) to the story about the music selection for the father-daughter dance at my daughter's wedding. :D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Criterion announced His Girl Friday on Blu-ray today - and the disc will also include the 1930s version of The Front Page. Release date is January 2017. Can't wait! The DVD from Sony is pretty decent but a new restoration should look fantastic.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty cool news and more Grant from Criterion. :)

I would be curious if Criterion might have the rights or could get the rights again for Notorious on blu ray. But that film is already out on blu-ray from MGM as we know along with the other two Hitchcocks. I liked the Criterion extras which include the two audio commentaries. The MGM disc has its own commentaries too. I guess if you have both discs, then you're set. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's pretty cool news and more Grant from Criterion. :)

I would be curious if Criterion might have the rights or could get the rights again for Notorious on blu ray. But that film is already out on blu-ray from MGM as we know along with the other two Hitchcocks. I liked the Criterion extras which include the two audio commentaries. The MGM disc has its own commentaries too. I guess if you have both discs, then you're set. :)

I do actually! Won't get rid of my Criterion DVD because of the extras - I believe there's a Rudy Behlmer commentary on there, and I always like his tracks. But I haven't watched the MGM/Fox Blu-ray yet - looking forward to reviewing that one. Last time I saw the movie was maybe two or three years ago during a Hitchcock retrospective, a 35mm print in surprisingly good condition from what I remember.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, definitely hang onto that Criterion DVD of Notoriuos! One of the commentaries is by Behlmer and the second one is by Marion Keane. As I recall, they are both good. Though Miss Keane explains a lot of the symbolism or interprets it. Or maybe I'm mixing it up with the MGM commentary. I will look forward to your review of the MGM blu-ray. I guess well after the honeymoon. :)

Afterlife2

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Bala
Thanks for the kind words, David. Were it not for your recommendations early on, I'd probably be on a Humphrey Bogart binge instead.

I've never seen Elvis: That's The Way It Is. What's Grant's appearance? I've been meaning to see that at some point anyway so if he's got a cameo I'll bump it up the list.

Cary was a Elvis fan. Here is footage of him and Elvis:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Those of you on Facebook should be able to see this posting of mine that actually got a response asking if my Mom took acid with Cary Grant!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...heater&notif_t=like&notif_id=1476863497021207
Thank you David for posting this...perhaps your mother knew more than she could say? I know medical professionals of those older generations...nurses, physicians and therapists...who will take their privacy oaths very seriously and to the grave...honourable and refreshing, in contrast to the gossip driven blabbermouths so prevalent today...but, as Cary Grant disclosed all about his LSD psychotherapy himself, it's all in the public domain anyway...your post led to that very interesting read about "Dr." "Acid Al" Hubbard, a fascinating insight into the incipient discovery phase of drug psychotherapy of the '50s...much there I did not know...even though it's implied that Hubbard might have had some connection to the intelligence community, it is more likely that his interest in LSD was genuine and confined to helping drug addicts and alcoholics...a true believer, and with no connection to the CIA and project MK ULTRA which was heavily invested at McGill in Montreal...I see that the article referred to an inquiry by then Socred Health Minister Rafe Mair into whether there was any CIA sanctioned or directed involvement with Hollywood Hospital...and finding none...in retrospect, a lot of this is hilarious, much like "The Men Who Stare at Goats"...

it seems that good old Cary Grant had quite a few Canadian connections...I remember him being a perennial visitor to the Calgary Stampede in the '80s, attending with his then very young daughter who loved the rodeo and was an accomplished equestrian...he was friendly with media and the public, but for the most part, was not recognized by many...all that was needed to maintain his anonymity was a straw hat and sun glasses...and perhaps about 20 years out of the public eye...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So not to make light out of any of this, but...which Cary Grant movie would be best to drop acid to? I've never tried hallucinogens so I honestly have no clue. I guess his Alice In Wonderland, although I wonder if that would be terrifying...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks