What's new

Cary Grant Fans (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For Cary Grant fans, Turner Classic Movies is showing a new documentary about Cary Grant on June 1st @ 8:00 p.m. ET. The name of the documentary is Cary Grant: A Class Apart and it looks like it's about 90 minutes long.

Crawdaddy

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I already have this scheduled to be TIVO'd. :) I'd half expected it would be somewhere in the new box set coming out the same day, but from what specs I've seen apparently not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I watched some of the box set this weekend and the documentary is not part of it.

Crawdaddy

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I plan on recording it tonight, but I believe TCM announced that they'll be releasing it on DVD later this year.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
There are men having a long-dry dating spell who could take lessons from Cary Grant's Film persona. :) Class and charisma are agelessly attractive traits.

Thank you for the heads up Robert!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the notice, Robert, I just finished watching it, and it was great. Just before it, TCM had one of their little Word Of Mouth segments, with Peter Bogdanovich, in what looked like an outtake from the documentary. Bogdanovich said that he once asked Grant about all the people who impersonated him over the years doing "Judy, Judy, Judy!", wondering where that came from. Grant said he didn't know, and that he never said it in any of his roles. Bogdanovich's theory, which he said that Grant found plausible, was that it was from Rita Hayworth's character in "Only Angels Have Wings": she was named Judith, with Grant calling her Judy all the way through the movie. Never three times in succession, but that's probably where it came from.

It reminded me of a bit in a James Cagney documentary--I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the one that's on the second disc of the Yankee Doodle Dandy SE. There's a clip from the AFI tribute to Cagney, sometime in the '70s, with him on-stage at the end accepting the lifetime award. He talked about all his impersonators doing, "You dirty rat!", even though he never said that exact line in any movie. Then he claimed, "What I really said was, 'Judy, Judy, Judy!'" Pretty classic. :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sounds like one of those things like, "Play it again, Sam."

I saw it last night on the late showing. Enjoyed it for the most part, except for the guy who said that "Operation: Petticoat" was a bad film. C'mon! It may not be "Philadelphia Story" or "Bringing Up Baby", but I've always thought it was a lot of fun. Also, probably one of his better films during that time period.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks