Carver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty_McW, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Maybe I was living in a dream world, but I thought that Carver made home theater products. Anyone know? I found their professional site, but that was it. If they do, does anyone have advice about them? I'm not ready to buy anything new, but the name just popped in my head and I got curious. Thanks everyone!!

Scott

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

www.carveraudio.com
    it is one of the worst websites ever.
    I happen to own a Carver C-1000A the last receiver they made (which was in production to the end of last year, it had a short production run). They stopped making them. I also beleve the stopped making the Carver speakers. They are still making the shadow knight subwoofer, which is basically a copy of the sunfire subs.
    Rich

3. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Thanks Rich.

That is a terrible website. I had a friend who had a Carver receiver and he liked it a lot. But I think I would rather put my money elsewhere.

Scott

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The former owner of Carver, Bob Carver owns Sunfire. You might want to check out Sunfire for home theater. They have come out with a new pre/pro called the Grand Theater 3. You can find them at www.sunfire.com . I just figured you might be interested in this? [​IMG]

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Carver is in Chapter 11. From what I understand Bob Carver has come back to help try to manage the reorganization.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Phil,

Because you wrote they are in Chapter 11, I assume you know this as fact? I heard through the grapevine that this was the case. Do you know for sure this as a "Take it to the bank" statement?

That was one of the major reasons why when I considered the latest pre-pro by Sunfire, I did not tread the path, even though I did like the product.

7. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Dave,

Thanks for the sunfire site. Anyone have any experience with them? Would I be better off with Pioneer Elite or another brand? Again, I won't be buying soon, just kind of curious.

Scott

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Yes - know it for a fact. Have not followed the story over the past six or seven months or so but I do own some stock and got notice about court proceeding and the like. I know Carver designed some less expensive products from Sunfire designs and rebadged them and sold them over at www.onecall.com as well. If you do a search of Carver at the site, you will find a scaled down version of the Sunfire, Jr. subwoofer being sold under the Carver name. Here is a short blurb I found at a website:
    "Carver Corporation Profile
    Carver Corporation
    5210 BICFORD AVE, # SNOHOMISH
    WA +1 425 3351978
    +1 206 7767722
    Carver Corporation designs, develops, manufactures and markets high-fidelity audio system components. Carver's product strategy has evolved from marketing individual components to offering fully integrated audio component systems. The company's audio entertainment systems include CD player and cassette deck. The other products of the company includes stereo review, audio stereophile, stereophile guide, home theater, audio/video interiors. The company has filed for bankruptcy in May 1999. The company's export sales accounted for 15% of 1998 revenues. "

9. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Thanks for the confirmation Phil.