What's new

Carver receivers (1 Viewer)

Allen M

Auditioning
I would like to know peoples opinions on Carver equipment. I have not been able to audition much, but I am very curious to know how it compares to H/K or Denon or Yamaha. I would like to purchase a new HT receiver soon, but all I have experience with is Sony, Pioneer and Yamaha. I think this time I want to step up in sound quality while staying under $500 if possible. Can Carver be a possible candidate for improved sound?
Thanks to all.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Carver?

Do youmean Sunfire or Carver?

The last receiver that Carver put out was 2 years ago. It had a great amp section but had the THX standard 6 channel input, no dpl2 or neo:6, no component switching either....

if you mean the Sunfire Ultimate receiver, thats over $3,000...

If it were me, in the $500 range I would look at a AVR520 or 325, maybe the marantz and the denon.

Rich

Allen M

Auditioning
I was talking Carver. I know the Sunfire is expensive and way out of my price range. After reading info in this forum, I have changed my mind about Yamaha and Sony. While they are good overall quality, I want something a bit better. HK seems to be a favorite of many people. I know amp sectionasdo make a difference as I have an older Crest power amp which definately makes some serious current. I also have a Carver sonic holography generator which I have been using on my Yamaha and Sony. While it's not the best sound all the time, with the right material, it's amazing. So hence my curiousity about Carver as a new HT receiver.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
well, like i said, carver hasnt made a receiver in 2 years, they didnt make many cause it didnt sell, and it was over $1000

Carver as a company is basically idle right now...

Rich

Allen M

Auditioning
Thank you Rich. I suspected so since Bob Carver went on to start Sunfire. But how about the older receivers they did make? Does anyone have opinions on these? I wouldn't mind picking up something from Ebay.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
i owned a carver c1000a, the most recent receiver the carver company made...

it would be considered very outdated by todays standards, no dpl2, no neo:6, no es or ex modes, no component inputs...

but it sounded sweet, i think, if you are lucky, you could find one in the $900 range...

here is one on audiogon, http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1070234962

anything older than that one, i think you are hitting 5+ year old equipment....

rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks