Carver receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen M, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Allen M

Allen M Auditioning

I would like to know peoples opinions on Carver equipment. I have not been able to audition much, but I am very curious to know how it compares to H/K or Denon or Yamaha. I would like to purchase a new HT receiver soon, but all I have experience with is Sony, Pioneer and Yamaha. I think this time I want to step up in sound quality while staying under $500 if possible. Can Carver be a possible candidate for improved sound?
    Thanks to all.

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

Carver?

Do youmean Sunfire or Carver?

The last receiver that Carver put out was 2 years ago. It had a great amp section but had the THX standard 6 channel input, no dpl2 or neo:6, no component switching either....

if you mean the Sunfire Ultimate receiver, thats over $3,000...

If it were me, in the $500 range I would look at a AVR520 or 325, maybe the marantz and the denon.

Rich

3. Allen M

Allen M Auditioning

I was talking Carver. I know the Sunfire is expensive and way out of my price range. After reading info in this forum, I have changed my mind about Yamaha and Sony. While they are good overall quality, I want something a bit better. HK seems to be a favorite of many people. I know amp sectionasdo make a difference as I have an older Crest power amp which definately makes some serious current. I also have a Carver sonic holography generator which I have been using on my Yamaha and Sony. While it's not the best sound all the time, with the right material, it's amazing. So hence my curiousity about Carver as a new HT receiver.

4. Rich Wenzel

well, like i said, carver hasnt made a receiver in 2 years, they didnt make many cause it didnt sell, and it was over $1000

Carver as a company is basically idle right now...

Rich

5. Allen M

Allen M Auditioning

Thank you Rich. I suspected so since Bob Carver went on to start Sunfire. But how about the older receivers they did make? Does anyone have opinions on these? I wouldn't mind picking up something from Ebay.

6. Rich Wenzel

i owned a carver c1000a, the most recent receiver the carver company made...

it would be considered very outdated by todays standards, no dpl2, no neo:6, no es or ex modes, no component inputs...

but it sounded sweet, i think, if you are lucky, you could find one in the $900 range...

here is one on audiogon, http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1070234962

anything older than that one, i think you are hitting 5+ year old equipment....

rich