What's new

Carver Knightshadow vs. SVS (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I'm considering buying a Carver knightshadow for approx. $1050 CDN + tax. This comes out to around $655 American. I was wondering if there are any subs in this price range that can compare with the performance of the knightshadow.

I haven't had a chance to demo any of the SVS subs, but I have heard so many great things about them and was wondering how they compare. Also, I was wondering if there are any SVS subs in the same price range as mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The 25-31PCi would probably be the most comparable in overall performance...it is $549. In Canana, I would also give consideration to the Paradigm pw2200 and the servo15.

TV

Greg Schex

Agent
Nick did you get a chance to demo the Knight Shadow? I'm considering one too. Mainly because I have some serious size constraints my choices are limited. Others to consider might be the earthquake Mkv10 or a Velo spl 800 in about the same price range. Where did you find the price on the shadow? ;)

Nick V

Second Unit
Greg,
I did have a chance to demo (sort of) the Knight Shadow altough it was a fairly brief listen. I am planning on going back sometime this week with some of my own music and dvd titles to get a better guage of the sound of this subwoofer.
My first impression was that it was very clean and powerful. They had the Matrix there, and you had better believe that everything in the room was really shakin'. However, I noticed that this sub seems to be lacking in the upper-bass frequencies. This is not the sub for you if you're running small bookshelf speakers. It is lacking some of the punch that you would be getting with the Sunfire Super Junior for example, but this sub seemed to have more output in the very low frequencies.
I'll let you know how my demo goes later on in the week.
BTW, the store where they quoted the price is called Visions, and I believe that it is only in Canada. It is sort of like Circuit City or Future Shop only it has some higher-end components. They carry Integra for example.
Hope This helped you out a little bit;)

Nick V

Second Unit
I did also get a chance to demo the Paradigm PW-2200, and in my opinion, the Carver Knight Shadow and the Sunfire Super Junior blow the Paradigm out of the water.

In the Paradigm's defense, there is a substantial price difference, at least here in Canada anyway.

Greg Schex

Agent
Nick, good point about the upper end. I'm running Def tech Pro Cinema 100's and need a small sub to integrate well for music and HT. I saw but didn't hear a super junior :cool: they are so TINY! kinda cool looking but the guy thought it was better for HT (called it a "one hit wonder"?) I would rather think music first then HT He showed me a Rel Q150 e which was pretty tight -not alot of SPL but clean. I really want to compare it to the Velo SPL800 Happy listening:D

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
here are the specs on the carver
Link Removed
I think the baby svs will beat it. The carver does look nicer though, and is easier to hide

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
All of the Carver subs are boomy, IMO. You would be much better off getting any of the offerings from SVS, HSU or Adire. I recently purchased a Rava from Adire Audio. My friend who owns a Sunfire Junior was crying when he heard the difference for music and home theater.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'm considering buying a Carver knightshadow for approx. $1050 CDN + tax. This comes out to around $655 American. I was wondering if there are any subs in this price range that can compare with the performance of the knightshadow.
Nick,
I would also suggest looking into the SuperNova MKII 10". I'm not sure of the pricing in Canada, though.
The other option might be the VMPS SUB called "The New Original Subwoofer".
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/sub1.htm
The VMPS is "unpowered" so you can choose a good power amp and you are clean down to 19 or 20hz for $499.
And of course the SVS, HSU VTF-2 and Adire give you a nice selection. In Canada, you might also find the new Athena and Energy subs reasonably priced and good perfromers.
John Casler

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks