What's new

Carver fans read this (1 Viewer)

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
I am fairly new to home audio, with my main field being car audio obviously, but this should concern home audio fans as well.. it appears Mr Bob Carver, yes that carver, he has somehow won patents on such things as the right to cut a hole in a speaker box for a subwoofer, the concept of a subwoofer that will work in less than 1 cubic foot, any subwoofer with more than .6 and less than 2.5 inches of linear excursion.. If you are familiar with Richard Clark ( cough cough egotrip cough cough) you may have already read this but i will repost it here.
I quote richard clark here
for you guys that havent heard about it I have written an article for the upcoming Automedia issue that may be of interest-----anyone ever make or use a woofer that has an excursion of more than 0.6 inches peak to peak????----has anyone ever put a high excursion woofer into a box smaller than one cubic feet???----ever cut a hole in a box in order to mount a woofer in the box???----these acts and many others are the claims in one of three patents that have been issued to Bob Carver-----believe it or not----some bozo in the patent office actually granted him a patent for these and numerous other things that most car stereo guys do everyday for a living or for fun---and have been doing for many years-----and he is already suing several companies for infringing!!!!----you and your store could be next or perhaps the suppplier that sells you woofers----and you will have to pay extra to cover the royalties!!!!i am not at my office now but tomorrow i will post the patent numbers and a web site for the patent office so everyone can look up the site and read these ridiculous babblings of government incompetence...........RC
you can read more on this here
http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimate...c&f=1&t=013496
this is something that should concern all audio fans, Carver has apparently already set a precedent in court that upholds his patents. The companies he is targeting are ones that cannot afford the legal battle that would be required to shut him down, and in the process he is building up more and more legal precedence.
fixed the link

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I understand the ramafacations of this yes, but would one call him an assh*le or pretty sharp.
Not looking top start a flame war but just another way of looking at it.
Im on your side, cazy and not right!
Unbeliveable
Post the rest please......
Used you link and got--->
Link not found.....

DanaA

Screenwriter
I'm not an attorney, but thought that any patents could not be enforced if others used a process earlier - in other words, somebody that tried to patent a wheel now would find upholding same impossible due to prior usage. The opinions of any attorney types would be appreciated here.

I'm not an attorney, but thought that any patents could not be enforced if others used a process earlier - in other words, somebody that tried to patent a wheel now would find upholding same impossible due to prior usage. The opinions of any attorney types would be appreciated here.
Funny you should mention this, I read in a newspaper a couple of days ago that a guy in Australia actually managed to do just this (patent the wheel, that is).

A strange world isn't it ? - Must have been a real nitwit reading the application.

/Mats

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>-----anyone ever make or use a woofer that has an excursion of more than 0.6 inches peak to peak????----has anyone ever put a high excursion woofer into a box smaller than one cubic feet???----ever cut a hole in a box in order to mount a woofer in the box???----these acts and many others are the claims in one of three patents that have been issued to Bob Carver<

My understanding of Carver's patents is that they cover particular ways of doing these things that were not being used by installers. The methods he came up with produce a much smoother sound than the commonly used techniques, and were the result of research he did (or had done).

Marty

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
how many ways are there to install a high excursion woofer into a box? front, back, um..... cant think of any others..... also, not too many ways of cutting a hole that will make it sound differently......

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Stephen,
"how many ways are there to install a high excursion woofer into a box? front, back"
Why that is a SILLY question.. You can flush mount it, surface
mount it.. Bolt it in, screw it in, glue it in, weld it in!
:D (Can ya feel the sarcasm?) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks