Carver Cinema Grand... any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Reznik, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

I'm seriously considering buying this amp to power some Paradigm Studio 100s, Studio CC, & Studio 20s or ADPs.
    I've read several reviews that talk about humming coming from the amp. Any of you guys have this amp?
    How does this compare to other 200x5 amps around $2000?
    ------------------

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Are you referring to the Sunfire Cinema Grand? If so, I've had it for five years and never heard a hum.
    M.

3. SC Trojan

SC Trojan Agent

I have this amp. The hum you are referring to is due to the power coming from the outlet. For some reason this amp is more sensitive to the power it receives. Just need a good power conditioner to lower the noise floor and keep the power clean.
    btw, none of my other amps needed a power conditioner.
    Lots of power. Great for HT. The current outputs REALLY make a difference. good luck

4. John H

John H Second Unit

I used a Cinema Grand for some time before switching to a Parasound HCA-2205A
    The CG is an exceptional amp but I prefer the HCA-2205A in my system.
    There are a few members that comment Parasound mates well with Paradigms.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    ...looking through a glass onion

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I would be interested to know why you prefer the Parasound to the Sunfire. What does the Parasound do that the Sunfire doesn't.

6. John H

John H Second Unit

I just prefer how the Parasound drives my Def Tech system. It is definitely smoother in the upper end in my room.
    John

7. Bhagi Katbamna

That is interesting because some reviews have said that the Sunfire is fairly mellow and laid back.

8. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Rotel RMB1095, Sherborn 5/1500, and Parasound HCA 2205 are other strong candidates for the Paradigms. I went to Audio Encounters in Dublin and I really liked the Rotel/Paradigm combo. You might want to research what amp to use for those Studio 100's. According to owners they are pleading for LOTS of power!! You might want to consider a 200WPC x 3 amp for the center and rears and a 300WPC range for the mains. There are Rotel RB 993 amps out there in the used market for $900.00 range. I would scour Audiogon.com for deals.
    Mike
    By the way..Am I the only person in Columbus who isn't a Buckeyes fan? lol

9. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

First off, thanks for the replys so far...
    I actually just went and listened to the 100s last night on the Rotel 1095... it's a nice amp but it sounded a little punchy. It wasn't quite as smooth as the parasound.
    I currently have two rotel amps (5x100 & 2x200) and I love them, but this time around I was looking for something a little more refined. I figured the SUNFIRE CG (sorry for calling it carver) or the B&K ref7250 might be a little more refined. And for about the same price!
    I know that the Rotel and Parasound are good buys for the price, but when you get up to the $2000 range for an amp there is a lot less disparity between price and it really comes down to which one sounds better and which one has a better product history... that is why I posted this thread (am I wrong on this?). I have only heard the Sunfire CG once and never with the Paradigm speakers (b&w). It sounded great but I'm a little apprehensive about dropping $2k on it, especially after reading some reviews talking about hissing and poping.
    ------------------

10. Bhagi Katbamna

I just bought a Cinepro 3K6II through their website for 2400. They have some 2K5II and 3K6I for under $2000.