What's new

Carver AV-705X (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering buying a used Carver AV-705X 5 channel amp. This would be replacing a Parasound HCA-1000 and a NAD C270 amp. Would the Carver be considered an upgrade? This would be for my Paradigm Reference center, side and back surrounds. Any input would be appreciated.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I have had two Carver AV-705X 5 channel amps in the past.
They are a very solid HT amp.
They operate rather cool and are dead silent.
I have never used the Parasound & Nad models you now have so I could not help compare them.
The carver will give you a solid 125w + when all five channels are driven.
About 180+ with two channels.
Here is a good word for that amp
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_2/av705.html
I feel this amp would more then fit your needs as described.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I run a 705x in my main setup. As Jerry noted, it's quiet, powerful and runs very cool for 5 x 125 watts per channel. I haven't compared the amps you're referring to either. IMO, my 705x is the strongest link in my setup and an easy recommendation...

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to know if it's better than the current amps I have. Thanks for your opinions guys!

CurtisC

Second Unit
For a similar amount of money,Carver,I had the 505 and it was very good,5yrs on and my son loves it now.Parasound is great but the minimum to compete is 1205a 5ch or 1500a 2h.good luck

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I had one that I recently sold and if you get it at a right price it is a great performer.

It is good enough for front duties and I used it to vertically biamp a pair of RM40s and it was spectacular.

John

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis, what speakers did you use the Carver 505 with, and how big is the room you had the 505 in? I'm thinking of purchasing the 505 myself, but I can't find any review on it.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Phillip, I used to have an AV-705x and a C270 as my main amplifiers in one of my 7.1 set-ups which has since been moved to the bedroom. Together they sound very much neutral, both run very quiet/cool and they are so close in power which is why I got the C270 to match with the fronts. They use to power Klipsch KLF-20's (fronts), a Klipsch KLF-C7 (center), and 4 Klipsch RB-5II's for the surrounds. Great sounding set-up but a few months ago I had the opportunity to buy some close-out NAD amps, S250 & 218THX, so I proceded to build my 2nd system, these seemed to open the soundstage a bit more and added a bit more power, especially to the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread