What's new

Carver amps? (1 Viewer)

chrisden

Agent
Anyone have experience with the older Carver amps such as the TFM-22? Are they any good? How does their sound measure up to the newer Parasounds and Rotels?

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Yes, not so good, they draw the power from the wall...doesn't sound good...very boomy and not clear at all....just good for playing at very high volumes

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using a Carver M-400t amplifier. I find the sound very clear and with a very solid bass (at all listening levels. In fact, I'm listening to Dianna Krall right now and it sounds fabulous.

I have Klipsch KLF-30 speakers. Possibly with speakers that require a ton of power, there might be a different impression.

Check out audioreview.com. There are alot of reviews of many different Carver amps.

An amplifier does not have to weigh a ton to sound good!

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using (2) Carver 753X. They are 250X3. All I can say is awesome. Neutral, clean and very dynamic.

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
I believe 1998-1999. They were in the Stereo Review Buyers Guide for 1999, which was on stands until 2/99.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I have a tfm-55 and I have always wondered why they didnt make all amplifiers like it....its light and has 380 watts per channel and sounds fantastic....does anyone know why they don't make them like this any more?

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced three Carver TFM-35x amps with the Rotel RMB-1095 a few months ago. The Carvers were awesome amps and I was extremely worried that the Rotel might not be their equal. I had owned various other amps previous to the Carvers and once I got them I seriously doubted that I'd ever be replacing them because they blew everything else I'd ever owned out of the water.
However, although the Carvers were true HELLIONS, I have never looked back on my decision. As stated above, although they would play as LOUD as you could ever stand and did sound very good, I like the Rotel much, much better.
Movies (and music especially) just sound more realistic and natural through the Rotel. By comparison the Carvers sounded a bit muddled, just not as clear and defined sounding. It's hard to describe exactly how the Rotel sound differs from the Carver...but I assure you (to these ears at least) there is no denying the vast improvement the Rotel amp offers.
BTW...the Rotel beast will also play as loud as you could ever stand without even thinking about breaking a sweat! :)

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I have always had good luck with the carver amps even back to the earlt 1.5T (no complaints here) Bu ti think i need to road test that rotel 1095 i have heard too many good things...

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
the newer amps aren't designed by bob carver that is why, his old amps are designed by the man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks