Carver Amplifier Problems, Need A Little Direction!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike.Thompson, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Mike.Thompson

Hello-
    I just bought a Carver amp model TFM-24. This is essentially the same as the TFM-25, sans the VU meters and replaced with LED's. The problem I am having is the distortion put out- the best way to describe the sound is like a bad radio signal. I have tried cleaning the binding posts somewhat, tried multiple pairs of interconnects, and speaker wire as well. What happens is I turn it on, it sounds bad, and if I turn it up much either the amp or pre-amp goes into protection. The pre-amp I am using I believe works fine because headphones work like a charm., model CT-6. If anyone has had a similar problem, has a place for me to start or anyhting I would be most appreciative as I am pretty clueless and lost but need to enjoy my tunes!
    Thanks in advance. Mike

2. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like it could be bad output transistors. Usually only one channel dies at a time, though. Take it to a friend's house and plug it up to their pre-outs and speakers to be sure it's the amp.

3. Mike.Thompson

Thanks for the reply.
    I forgot to mention that I did hook it up to a Phase Linear 700 and it sounded fine, and the speakers I tried hooking up are off my bedroom 2 channel system and sound fine on that setup. The distortion is on both channels, no matter which interconnect or speaker I use. I think I have eliminated the possibility of it being anything other than the amp, unless I have a huge oversight [​IMG]
    I was just looking to see if anyone had similar problems, and what they did about it. Thanks again. Mike