Carver 705 vs Rotel 1075 - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

I currently use a Marantz SR7000 . I'm thinkin of using it as a pre/pro and getting a standalone amp (yeah i'm going separates!.. wel almost) .. from reading reviews and looking at how much used stuff costs, i'm kinda narrowing down to carver 705 and rotel 1075. both have great reviews and similar power ratings. the carver has more reviews on audioreview than the rotel does but the rotel seems to sell for more.
    I also briefly looked into the marantz MM9000 but it seems both the carver and rotel are "higher up"
    so please, some feedback on either of these.
    my speakers are Tannoy Saturn S8 f/r S8C center, Tannoy Mercury M2 rears and a sonosub that kicks the hell out of any speaker i put next to it [​IMG]

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Mike,
    I used to have the 7000. Great receiver. In regards to adding the Carver, you will notice a huge improvement. I have the Carver currently hooked up to the Onkyo 797 and it is very detailed and accurate. An excellent amp. I had the Parasound 855a(great amp also) before i got the Carver and the Carver brings out more detail in HT IMO. I wasn't sure if getting rid of the 855 was a good idea but looking back i have no regrets. I can't comment on the Rotel because i haven't heard it. Good luck.

Dalton

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Before buying the Marantz 9000 I'd look for a used Outlaw 750, ATI 1505, or Anthem MCA5 as I thought all these sounded better and can be had for under $1000 used occasionally.

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Mike,

I recently bought a used Carver AV-705x on ebay...$560. I use 4 of the 5 channels to passively biamp my mains, Paradigm Monitor 7's. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX receiver. This was the flagship Pioneer receiver when bought, and is highly rated.

I enjoy listening to CD's in stereo. I had recently upgraded to a Paradigm PW-2200 sub, and felt I needed more power to the mains to keep up with the new sub. The improvement that the Carver amp added to the sound from my system was phenomenal. I never realized that the Monitor 7's could sound so good. I highly recommend the Carver!!

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

6. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Not familiar w/the Rotel, but I own the Carver 705 as well...absolutly love it!
    Have used it for 5 years (Now paired w/my Marantz AV-9000 Pre).
    No matter how loud or how long I play music or a movie, the Carver never gets hot, just slightly luke warm, which I think makes for a amp to last for many years!!!

7. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

and YES i now believe a dedicated power amp such as the Carver 705 WILL make a diff.
    Before I owned the Carver 705 (and Marantz AV-9000 pre), I had a very decent sounding Nak reciever that lacked DD but had the 5.1 inputs, so I added the Sony ES9 standalone DD decoder.
    I was very happy w/the setup.
    One day, i came accross the Carver 705 for $600.
    Like I said I was happy w/the sound I was getting.
    I was assured if I was not satisfied before 30 days I could take it back for a refund.
    I figured why not...I'll give it a shot.
    Glad I did!
    My Definitive speakers sounded like new beasts after plugging the amp into the sony ES9 w/music (and even better now since I replaced the Sony ES and the Nak w/the Marantz AV-9000)!
    I say GO FOR IT!

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Greg,

That was my original plan, but something went wrong with one of the channels as I temporarily hooked it up when it first arrived. I wanted to hear the mains biamped, so I hurriedly connected channels 1 & 2 to the right speaker and 4 & 5 to the left speaker. Channel 3 was for my center. after about 20 minutes of listening at moderate levels, I cranked it up. I heard a sizzling sound from the left speaker and then the amp went dead. I had mistakenly connected the amp to a low current outlet on my HTS1000. (Recently upgraded to a HTS5000) After proper connection to the power strip, I noticed that the MAXIMUM OUTPUT/MUTE LED on channel 5 came on and stayed on. I tried all the checks suggested in the manual and determined that the amp's channel 5 was the culprit.

Being the first item that I had bought on ebay, I figured I had been taken!! After communicating with the seller, he was pretty sure why this situation had occurred. The best we can determine is that a fuse in channel 5 had blown. The manual states that the fuses are not user replaceable. The seller, who has great reviews from former buyers, agreed to refund me 1/5 of my purchase price. If replacing the fuse fixes channel 5, I will send him back his money.

The internal fuse probably did what it was suppose to do. Since my main reason for this amp is to biamp my mains, I can still do this using channels 1 - 4. And the sound is great. Since I am only using the VSX-09TX to run the center and rears, and have my system correctly calibrated, DVD's sound great also.

9. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Alan, I would advise opening up your amp and see if you can replace the fuse yourself (I know the manual might state that, because both my Adcom 535's manual and AudioSource Amp1a's manual said the same thing because most likely it was meant as a warranty issue). Just make certain you match the fuse rating (in amps and volts, you could go lower) and type (fast blow or slow blow, most amps on the bridged or bridging channels will usually be a slow blow but remember you can always use a fast blow and not necessarily vise versa) as these are availible at Radio Shack but unfortunately they come in a package of 4-5 for about $2. If you're lucky Alan the fuse in your amp did it's job and blow to protect that channel, of course Murphy's law sometimes states that maybe that expensive amp channel sacrificed itself to protect than less than 50 cent fuse (I hope not in your case).