Cartridge for Dual 1257

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Brunner, Apr 19, 2002.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Just purchased near mint Dual 1257 on ebay and will probably need new cartridge. Grabo is out due to hum problems. This has an ultra low mass tonearm and was wondering what everyones suggestions would be for a decent relatively inexpensive cartridge. Looking for MM type becasue of preamp situation. Have an AVR with no phone input so I have to use another older Sony Receiver with phono input through tape in/out so the mV aprox 3.5 or something like that.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on this because I don't have the vinyls to justify the expense.

Any recommendations out there.

Thanks

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you have a local high end shop they may be able to help with your particular situation. I got a nice Audio Technica cartrige from a local high end shop recently. I paid a little more but it was worth it for the knowledgable vinyl loving advice I got.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

The only so called high end place around here is Tweeter and I boycott them because number 1) they have sales people who generally don't know what they are talking about and number 2) there pricing is outragious.

4. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

I owned several Duals from the late 1960s through early 1980s. Dual's low-mass arms always worked nicely with Shure and Stanton MM cartridges. J&R (jandr.com) sells current models of venerable classics, such as the Shure M97XE ($80) and Stanton 681EEE ($100), both of which should offer excellent sound quality for a small investment. Unless they've been changed in recent years, they will sound quite smooth and nonfatiguing, and will have well-above-average tracking ability (they work optimally at 1.25 to 1.5 grams of downforce). The better Shures and Stantons, such as these two, were famous for their tracking skills.

Either should work nicely with your Dual.

Happy listening!

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

You might take a look at The Needle Doctor
    Lots of choices. Maybe the best source left...
    (BTW, Grado also makes shielded versions.)

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Perhaps you can find one of these on e-bay: The fabulous Shure V15 type V-MR (I think that’s what they called it – it’s been so long!).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I don't portend to be a cartridge expert, but in regards to a phono pre-amp, you can do better than the Sony receiver without spending much money. Check out the NAD PP-1 phono pre-amp at www.nadelectronics.com . I bought one for $85 from Sound City (1-800-370-3156) and have been very happy with it. The PP-1 lists for around $125, so I got a good deal through Sound City. Sound City is an authorized NAD dealer and typically has excellent prices on NAD gear.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

I am interested in the Sure M97; however, having Klipsch Speakers and this cartridge excentuates the highs I wondering if this would be a good match. Good with turntable but perhaps not the best with Klipsch. What do ya think?

9. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

John, you could purchase the Shure at Audioadvisor and audition it for 30 days. You'll need to put a few hours on it to break it in anyway.If you don't like it, send it back.
    www.audioadvisor.com
    I'd also recommend purchasing an external phono stage. Audioadvisor sells creek phono stages that are affordable.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

10. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

John:

I recall Shures as being neutral, not bright. My old Stanton 681EEE, on the other hand, while measuring flat in magazine tests of the day, definitely sounded more "polite" and laid back from the upper midrange through the treble than most competitors, including Shure models. I occasionally utilized the 681EEE specifically for bright recordings. Thus, perhaps the Stanton would provide a better synergy with your Klipsch loudspeakers.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

The lit on the Sure emphasis the highs. The Stanton is a bit too pricey for this budget, whereas, the shure is a better price for me, but those highs with the Klipsch?

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

P.S. you guys resonable price is way beyond my means i.e. the Creek preamp @ $199. I was thinking more along the line of the Reconton (sp) for $40.00 at Circuit City!! I'm just starting out in this thing and have to start slowly with on (4) LP in house.

Thanks

13. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

O.K. so the Creek is out of the question for now, how about Radio Shacks "Little Rat" phono stage?
    Lots of folks on the audioasylum board use it. It is only sold mail-order I believe for about $25. [​IMG]

14. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

This post made me look at what I've got gathering dust - a Dual 1237, which I bought in the late 70's. The current cartridge, which I probably put on it in '83-'84, is a Shure M91ED. I know next to nothing about it; just thought I'd throw it on the table for forum consumption.

Doug

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

You are right about only mail order on Radio Shack preamp. Went to one of there stores and was given the black look.

16. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

John:

I just read the online Shure info. It describes the M97XE as neutral, smooth, and nonfatiguing. It also mentions that the unit accurately tracks and reproduces the high frequencies, which is desirable. I do not find any statement that the tonality is bright. I personally have never come across a bright-sounding Shure hi-fi cartridge.

An alternative for you (for a minimal investment) is the Stanton 500E-MkII, the company's budget hi-fi cartridge. I've never heard one, but it might share Stanton's typical laid-back to neutral tonality. J&R sells it for $25.

One final suggestion: If your Klipschs are bright even with a neutral phono cartridge, you are free to utilize your receiver's treble control to tone it down as needed.