Cartoons on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryM, Mar 26, 2002.

1. BarryM

BarryM Stunt Coordinator

Hiya: Just joined....and just got a DVD player. My brother is heavily into DVDs, so I kinda have an idea of what's available...and what's not...yet.

I'm amazed, though, at how few 1930's/1940's/1950's cartoons are available on DVD. I just got "Cartoon Explosion", volumes 1 and 2 (Front Row Entertainment), and although it's all public domain stuff, it's a darn sight better than many of the VHS collections around.

Will Warners ever put out a comprehensive Chuck Jones collection? or a Robert Clampett collection? (fat chance!) or a Friz Freleng?

Will whomever now owns the Betty Boop's do what they did on VHS? Hope so.

Is anyone else interested in theatrical animation shorts?

(Since I'm new, if this topic has been done to death, apologies all around.)

2. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Too bad you just missed the Walt Disney Treasures set. Im sure you can still find some around though.

3. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

if you can find them, go for the disney movies

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB has been working on remastering the Looney Tunes for a while (The 1930-1950 cartoons need the most work done...nearly 600+ overall)
    If you've seen the color pre-1948's on Cartoon Network, you'll know how badly they need remastering and restoring.
    It's actually known that some of the original negatives don't exist any longer and some just have the color separations. Many even have their original openings and closings lost forever. Let's hope WB puts a lot of effort into these before a DVD release.
    As for others..
    Check out www.animationondvd.com
    It gives a good overview of what's good. I personally reccomend the Walt Disney Treasures DVD's if you can still find them.

5. BarryM

BarryM Stunt Coordinator

Thanx for the info on the (hopeful) WB upcoming project.

Those black and white cartoons I've seen seem to be in OK condition...most have decent audio tracks and complete openings and endings.

But, crickey, Cartoon Network and the rest of the world is so stupidly 'politically correct', many of these classic, hilarious cartoons have whole hunks chopped out...mustn't let the kiddies see any negative stereotypes.

Of course, they should be reissued complete uncut...after all, 9-year-old's aren't gonna be interested in black and white Porky Pig's.

Also, my interest in cartoons is such that I don't even think of Disney....yeah, I know there's the most polished, but also the least funny and interesting (in my opinion). I'd much rather see:

- Ub Iwerks Cartoons (including Flip The Frog)

- Warners Cartoons (all of 'em...every single one of 'em)

- Betty Boop Cartoons (every single one of 'em...with

original Paramount openings)

- Early Universal/Walter Lantz cartoons

- A good selection of the best of the silent cartoons, complete with newly-done musical and sound effects scores.

Fat chance!

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I forgot to mention...

The Betty Boop cartoons are owned by REPUBLIC and have been licensed for video to...ARTISIAN. Richard Fleischer has been trying to get the classic cartoons released to DVD, but it seems Republic isn't doing much.

It seems like WB isn't too worried about the political correctness of the cartoons anymore. They've licensed VHS tapes with fully uncut versions of cartoons (including many usually edited or banned from TV) to Columbia House.

The quality is pretty good, but most of the pre-1948 color and pre-1936 B&W cartoons wildly vary in quality. At least the sound is pretty good (the B&W Porky's look great)

The Columbia House tapes have a pretty good selection (Bosko, Buddy, post-1964 cartoons), but all the Turner-owned cartoons are "dubbed" versions which don't look or sound as good as the ones owned by WB. (Turner owned toons: Harmon-Ising Merrie Melodies, 1934-Aug. 1948 color cartoons)

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The best cartoon short collections I have seen on DVD to date have been the Disney Treasures Mickey Mouse in Living Color and Silly Symphonies sets. I saw both of them on the shelf at my local (Dearborn, MI) Best Buy at lunch today, so grab them while you can.

I am encouraged that WB is apparently doing their due diligence with the classic Warner Looney Toons & Merry Melodies, but I hope they do not forget to do the same for all of the classic MGM material they now control. It would be really cool if they took a director-based approach. They could even do a series of Tex Avery releases or a box set that includes his work at both WB and MGM.

While everyone is here, what is regarded as the best release of the Fleischer Superman cartoons on DVD? I notice there are several (well, at least three) different releases and have been hesitant to pick one in case it is a disaster.

Regards,

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

There's a great disc of BEANY AND CECIL toons released by Image, if you like Bob Clampett. It even has several TIME FOR BEANY shows from the early days of television. It also has hours of interviews with Clampett. Great disc, all around.

Also, what is meant by "dubbed" Looney Tunes? Have they re-recorded the voices? I'm confused. I see that credit all the time on CN, but never understood what it meant.