What's new

Cartoon Network To show WW2 Loony Toons (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
On sunday night, Cartoon Network is showing a collection of wartime Loony Tunes on the show "Toon Heads". The last I had heard, many of the cartoons are rarely, if ever shown, because of their racial stereotypes and overall political incorectness. Does anyone have any more info on this? Will they be unedited?

Back in film school, one teacher showed a short called "Bugs Bunny nips the nips" (I thinks thats what it was called, maybe Daffy) It seems that Cartoon Network may have to censor some of them, as that could be considerd quite offensive. Maybe they'll preface them with a warning.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
There's a few comments that allude to the racial stereotypes, but no "warnings" given. This show aired last year and the only thing I could fault about it was that it wasn't longer. If I recall (I still have it on tape somewhere) there were three full length toons as well as clips from dozens of others. My favorite...the Statue of Liberty whipping out one of those old insecticide sprayers and knocking down German planes out of the sky. :laugh:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Has The Cartoon Network ever shown any Private Snafu? They were available on DVD a couple of years ago. These were cartoon shorts presented to the troops during WWII as entertainment as well as a method to communicate important information to them.

What I did notice in these cartoons is that even though the enemy was portrayed using just about every well-known stereotype in the book (oversized bulky angry-sounding Germans, short buck-toothed Japanese with round glasses), the enemy was never, ever portrayed as being stupid. If anything, the cartoons pushed the point that if the typical American soldier wasn't careful of what they said or did even when they were back home, the enemy would use whatever information they could get to their advantage, which could lead to disasterous results on the battelefield.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Image Entertainment released the Private SNAFU cartoons 3 years ago. According to their website it is still available. They simply bought the rights to put the Bosko Video 2-volume VHS program on DVD.

The cartoons are fully window boxed but flash the occasional Bosko logo in the bottom right corner to prevent piracy (It didn't work - the first volume was heavily pirated), and are of reasonable quality considering the prints are from private collectors and poorly transfered. Rhino Home Video had a single tape with about 12 cartoons around 5 years ago and it was much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks