CART rule question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Anyone here know the story behind the mandatory pit stop every 42 laps? What's the basis for this rule? I was watching the Grand Prix Of The Americas today and thought this seemed like a ridiculous rule.

I also would like to see CART switch to a dead start instead of using pace laps on road courses. I'd love to hear an opposing viewpoint on this if anyone disagrees. Is this simply out of tradition or is there a a valid reason for using the pace laps?

Jeff

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I believe they implemented it because in the last few years many of the races were decided by pit strategies and gambling on yellow flags.

It could be something else though, since it still happens to some extent.

3. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

CART implemented a rule this season that requires a pit stop after a maximum number of laps. The goal of this rule was to stop races from being fuel economy runs, and encourage more hard charging races.

The rolling starts stem from an American tradition. Road racing in America has always been done from rolling starts. Toyota Atlantics and the new Fran-am championship are the only series in North America that do standing starts.

As a road racer, I prefer the rolling starts. Standing starts do nothing but tear up equipment. They are much harder on clutches, and often cause more disasters because of the greater speed differential between cars.

Michael.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

As already mentioned the silly mandatory pit window is areaction to "fuel economy" races in the past. Instead of removing the fuel mileage requirement and reducing the full-course yellows, they put in the pit window rule. Maybe they'll get it right in the future.

There was some talk of CART trying out standing starts for possible use on road courses (hopefully they will drop the ovals completely) but that experiment has yet to take place.