CART, IRL, confused by changes of networks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I am a little more then a casual race fan and I am a bit confused by the recent changes in the broadcasts of the CART and IRL and even the American Le Mans series. NASCAR doesn't interest me anymore. I can only catch the races on broadcast from the 3 main networks as I do not have cable or satellite.

What is confusing, as I'm not always on top of the changes going on, is the coverage by the networks that broadcast them. I missed most of the CART Molsen Indy race today because I had no ideal that CART is now broadcast from CBS? (The temproary road courses are the most interesting to see) I saw a CART race a few weeks ago on CBS but it's not normal to me see a CART race there! Did CART separate from ABC? Is this due to the IRL? And now I see that the American Le Mans series is on CBS from NBC! That's cool as NBC separated the local San Francisco affiliate to San Jose and is very difficult to recieve due to the geography here in the Bay Area.

ABC did broadcast a few Formula One races recently, I really hope that becomes more frequent. I really want to see those races, I suppose I could go with Satellite someday!

Thanks, Nelson

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

at least you're not an AMA superbike fan, they're hardly ever broadcast anymore since speed channel became nascar TV

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Speedvision and CBS have bought the (or in some cases CART paid) the rights to broadcast CART for this season and I believe the immediate future.

ABC/ESPN didn't want to succumb to CARTs demands for their renewal (broadcast time, races being cut-off or shortened by other sports events). I don't think the IRL had much to do with it.

F1 is almost entirely on Speedvision, however Bernie want's to tap into the huge US market and has been making some inroads on getting the races put on regular broadcast TV, like ABC. So this year on ABC we get Monoco, Canada and the USGP...and the rest on Speedvision (I thought there was another race on ABC..not 100% sure).

Andrew

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Monza will also be on ABC IIRC it is two weeks before the USGP which is Sept. 29th.